double glazing units

I have a double glazed window in my bathroom that has 2 non-opening units in it, can anyone advise on converting this to an open window without going through the hassle of changing the whole window frame?

Reply to
pulsar

I'd say it would be easier and cheaper to just change the lot to the configuration you require - especially if it's a stock sized unit. They're really very easy to install.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You don't say what the frame is made from therefore no point in anyone guessing.

If it is a wooden frame,design the new one around the dimensions of the existing frame and use at least one of the existing glass units.

Apart from that there's nothing to be gained. Get a complete new window and units.

Reply to
keng

fixed pains do not have the correct profile to become a hinged opening window,it is not possible.you need to change the unit

Reply to
Alex

With regards to the other posts here - you can no longer diy D/G. You have to inform the BCO at your local council and get his/her permission before starting - otherwise you fall foul when you come to sell the property. Whether or not you can *THEN* diy the D/G installation I'm not sure, but I'm sure someone else will be along shortly...

Reply to
Paul King

... dunno about you guys (and gals), but everything in my house was done years ago - before I moved in.

(Are UPVC extrusions date stamped BTW ?)

You'd think with all the terrorists allegedly lurking behind every tree, those in power would have better things to do than penalise those of us who find doing improving our own homes therapeutic. (And also who prefer not to get into debt paying others to do it).

What next ? Skips and scaffolding only available to registered contractors ?

Reply to
brugnospamsia

In message "brugnospamsia" wrote: [snip]

[snip]

Dunno, but the cavity spacers in sealed units are stamped with the date of manufacture from the "better" suppliers.

Reply to
Jim White

"Paul King" wrote | pulsar wrote: | > I have a double glazed window in my bathroom that has 2 non-opening | > units in it, can anyone advise on converting this to an open window | > without going through the hassle of changing the whole window frame? | With regards to the other posts here - you can no longer diy D/G.

Wrong.

| You have to inform the BCO at your local council and get his/her permission

Confirmation that the work complies with Building Regulations. It's not permission as they can't refuse to grant it provided the work is compliant.

| before starting - otherwise you fall foul when you come to sell the property. | Whether or not you can *THEN* diy the D/G installation I'm not sure, but I'm | sure someone else will be along shortly...

Yes you can DIY it.

Without reference to Building Control you are allowed to *repair* an existing window. As this is for a bathroom and I suspect the need is for ventilation possibly the easiest way is to "repair" the window by replacing one sealed unit with a replacement sealed unit with an extractor fan mounted in it.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Would this include changing an entire UPVC DG window for another? After all presumably the regs are there to make sure adequate ventilation etc if changing old windows?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote | > Without reference to Building Control you are allowed to *repair* an | > existing window. ... | Would this include changing an entire UPVC DG window for another?

No, that would be replacement.

| After all presumably the regs are there to make sure adequate | ventilation etc if changing old windows?

Yes, but under the regs *replacement* windows must be fitted by FENSA-registered contractor or DIYed under a building control application.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

contractors

Odd that you mention this but our local council discussed restricting use of skips at a recent meeting.

Reply to
Mike

Right. I'll ignore those as well. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Scary ...

Thinking about it I suppose I really meant the ability of householders to dump modest amounts of rubble for free at amenity sites.

I was caught out a few months ago when I towed an 8 foot trailer to my local tip as I had done before only to be told I now needed to apply in advance for a permit to prove I wasn't trade. My brother and I were obliged to tow it across the county line.

A few weeks later I had to make 3 round trips with a smaller trailer to shift the same amount of stuff.

Reply to
brugnospamsia

One does wonder if this Government intends to make criminals of us *all*.

Reply to
Huge

Hi

It's not "seeking permission". There is an obligation to inform Building Control of certain works 48 hours before commencement of work, and an obligation to do work according to Building Regs standards. But "permission" doesn't enter into it.

I'm also not very convinced by the recent scaremongering being put around (mostly related to Part P, but also applicable to Part L) that failure to comply will make selling the house difficult.

IIRC Building control has a limited opportunity to persue a case of failing to inform Building Control, and that time is something like

6 months according a book on Building Regs I was reading recently.

After that, they've missed their chance. I'm not sure if there are any other angles they can get you on, particularly if the work is not a criminal safety hazard???...

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

What's the frame made of?

Of course you can, you can't fit complete new windows without the pen-pushers being involved. You can "repair" them.

There's a lot of mis-information about, in plumbing terms "ballcocks".

Reply to
Chris Bacon

In message , Tim S writes

Whether or not BC can do anything about it doesn't stop buyers and /or solicitors making a fuss about things. It might or might not stop a sale , but at the very least it could slow things down

I do know of personally at least one case where lack of FENSA/BCO documentation fro replacement windows (that should have had it) caused a problem re a sale (it was eventually resolved, but not without stress).

It's not helped by at least some solicitors seemingly knowing little about BCO powers. when we sold out last house the buyers solicitors wanted the building regs approval for carport that was at least 20 years old ! - our solicitor passed this on without a comment really.

Both seemed ignorant of:

  1. it didn't need BR approval anyway

  1. even if it had, after 20 years there was bugger all that could ahve been done anyway.

Ojk it was easy enough for me to tell them both that it was a load of bollocks, but what of someone less knowledgeable about such things. And it still added a bit more delay to the process.

Reply to
chris French

================= It has been stated here (I think) that the main cause for concern with regard to Part P is that insurance companies may try to avoid payout (e.g. in the event of a fire) if work done within the scope of Part P has not been officially inspected and approved by BCO. For this reason alone it's worth getting the required documentation, but of course getting the documentation could save stress if you ever do decide to sell. A bit of paper with a receipt for a large sum of money is very convincing for most solicitors.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Checking for Building reg approval is one of the things required of solicitors by the mortgage lenders [Council of Mortgage Lenders Handbook part 1 sect 5.3 Panning and Building Regulations ] Of course all this runs to a formula so as with most official hassle the best approach is to never tell them anything more than is strictly asked for and always in a form which accords with the accepted right answer.

Reply to
DJC