double glazing removal

Hi I need to remove a double glazed panel from my back door. It has an internal bead (is that the black rubber bit that fits against the unit and the plastic mitred strips?). Do I have to get the bead out first, or just prize up the 4 mitred plastic bits. Does that make any sense? I'm trying to prise up the plastic bits but they don't seem to want to move. Is there a special technique, or are these units all different? Ta.

Reply to
Grumps

The black bit is a seal which is part of the bead, it's the beads that need to come out, start with the longest two and then the shorter ones.

Reply to
Phil L

pic here:

Phil L

I can get a scraper in under the bead, but then what? I can't seem to lever it up at all. Do I have to give it a thump anywhere to release some sort of clip?

Reply to
Grumps

There are different types. The windows I've just had delivered, the bead is like a moulded quadrant, and it just slides up parallel to the glass. Some types you need to compress slightly towards the glass (compressing the seal a bit more) to release them. Trouble is, to find out what type it is, you have to take off the beading ! I use a sharp chisel to first lift the bead, to then give space for a wide scraper, since the chisel stage stops damage to the plastic. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

One other thing I forgot to say. The way the windows are put together using a single upvc profile, if you have an opening casement, you will find the outside of the profile that the window closes against is actually the same as the profile forming the inside of the glazing, and you can see the slot that the beading would clip into, which may give a clue as to how the bead fits. Cheers, Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

On some types the black rubber seal is seperate from the bead and has to be pulled out first to then allow the bead enough leeway to be removed. It acts as a sort of "packer" preventing the bead being removed until the black seal has been removed.

Tim

Reply to
Tim

Aluminium doors seem to work that way

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Try prising the bead in the opposite way to what seems logical. ie., insert prising tool then tip it inwards towards the glass.

mark

Reply to
mark

If it won't come out after trying that, get a pair of pointed pliers and grip the rubber seal and pull it out. Make a mental note as to which way it was inserted. Then try again with the scraper. The seal will be gripping by the fact that it is compressed by the fitting process. Usually by using a bolster to knock the trim into place in the frame.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Remove the external gasket (on the outside of the window), push the glass toward the outside, and you will find that the beads come out easily. DO NOT TRY TO PULL THE RUBBER OUT OF THE BEADS!

Reply to
Mr Fuxit

Thanks for all of the replies.

Reply to