Double glazing, maximising glass area

We have a pair of fairly narrow windows in a victorian house, that have been replaced with double glazing, but a lot of the original glass area has been lost. The house next door still has its original sash windows which are have a bigger area. The windows are arched at the top, which has also been filled in and rectangular windows fitted. We are thinking of having some windows made that fill the arch, and with a minimum width of plastic at the edge. The windows open which also adds to the thickness of plastic.

Is it possible to have windows where the two parts overlap, so the opening part fills the gap, and is not surrounded by another width of plastic? I have tried a couple of local suppliers but they cant improve much on what is there apart from adding an arch.

The width of the opening is 53cm and the current width of visible glass is 33cm, we would like to reduce that 10cm either side down to about 5cm if possible and still have the windows opening, with a fixed arch on top.

Has anyone come across this problem, and could suggest a suitable supplier?

Thanks

Reply to
Tom

Does it look nicer?

Why don't you have replacements made, to the same style as the originals, but double-glazed and draught-proofed? The cost is not dissimilar to that for plastics, and if you get the right man, cheaper.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

It might if they painted them! It's the only house in the row that hasn't been done up so really it is the odd one out, it's interesting to see what they would have been like though.

I agree that would be the best thing to do in the right circumstances, but all the other windows in the house are already plastic, so it would be impractical to have just those two wooden ones. We just want to change them for some plastic ones that look better and let in more light.

Reply to
Tom

I think you will find the main problem is that you have plastic windows.

In general, plastic windows have a much larger surround than wooden ones.

You can easily get double glazed wooden windows which are just like the good old wooden windows but with thicker glass.

You can have double glazed sash windows made, which would be closer to the original windows and perhaps suit the house better. AFAIK you have to use this kind of window in conservation areas.

This is likely to be a little more expensive, especially if you have hardwood frames, but you get what you pay for.

HTH

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

I think the only way to reduce the bulk of plastic is to go with fixe

non opening glazing, but that may not be what you want. The proble with UPVC windows is that in order for the sections to be strong enoug they have to have aluminium proflies inside and so by necessity ar bulky. Personally I think that most UPVC windows look "chunky" eve large windows. I have never come across slender UPVC windows

-- Nick H

Reply to
Nick H

Look around for some sash(?)units which are externally glazed(ie glass fitted from outside) these have thinner frames. Get the glazing bars fitted between the panes, these will be thinner.

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol