Double Glazing Help

On the bottom hinge I have a small piece of plastic with a ridge on it, that slides up and down the hinge. It seems all it does is to make the window more easier/harder to close when the bottom of window frame meets the plastic. i.e. The more I slide it away from the window handle the easier it is for the window to close.

I was wondering what does it do, and what position should it be set to?

TIA

Reply to
SimonW

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 21:19:58 +0100, SimonW mused:

That makes no sense whatsoever.

A picture tells a thousand words.

Reply to
Lurch

I understood completely, and am also intrigued. I guess if you don't understand you haven't seen one and are therefore unlikely to be able to help ;-)

Reply to
visionset

Well it may make no sense to Lurch but to me it is obvious. This is the adjustable friction hinge so you can set the hinge such that the window stays where you put it. The adjustment compensated for the weigth of the window in a top hung light and for likely wind load for a side hung light. Does this help?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

I don't think I explained myself very well, sorry :(

This is a side hung window.

The plastic is not in the runners, it is literally wrapped around the bottom friction hinge, if you look at it quickly you might mistake it for a piece of insulation tape wrapped around the hinge. It only makes the window more difficult/easy to close just before the frame is line with the catches, because the bottom of the window frame meets this bit of plastic and has to ramp over it. In fact the plastic does have a little ramp either side.

Reply to
SimonW

Hinged at one side with a casement stay and a cockspur fastener ?

"Runners" ?

"Friction Hinge" - wassat ?

I was with Bob, but after reading this I dunno.

It could just be a bodge by someone who thought the friction device wasn't working well enough.

As the man said a picture is worth a thousand words.

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Thanks all I have sussed it :)

On the bottom runner I have two safety catches, one that lifts which makes the window open wider at the bottom to escape in an event of a fire, and another that pushes that makes the window open "normal" and is easier for cleaning on the outside of the window.

Just the window closes, the bottom of the frame pushes on this bit of plastic so it pushes the bottom hinge down a little bit more, making sure it clears and re-engages the safety catches.

Reply to
SimonW

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 23:16:31 +0100, SimonW mused:

Excellent.

Just to clarify though, I was right to be doubtful, for those that doubted my doubdtfullness.

Reply to
Lurch