Double Glazing frame loose

Hi all

I decided to re silicone the inside of my double glazed window as i could feel a draught.

I have just noticed that the top of the frame (silicone needs replacing) pushes outwards by 3-4 mm when i push on it.

This is enough for me to hear the traffic clearer and for a draught to occur.

I cannot see any fixing screws around the framework and wonder how the frame is fixed to the brickwork as i need to secure the top.

When i open the window and look into the frame around it, i only see screws that secure the slides etc. Will these go through to the brick work?.

Seems a thick one but i honestly never had any need to know until now.

Thanks

Andy

Reply to
Andy Pandy

The fixings are normally thru the sides of the frames direct into the brickwork. Expanding foam and spring clips are also used by some fitters.

Reply to
Space_Cowby

Can i get to the insides sides of the frame? Do i need to take the glass out to reveal the screws / spaces for more ?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Pandy

They're often just vaguely fixed by screws at the side, and expanding foam all the way round left to do the real job.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

IF it's screwed into place then that will have been done before the glass was fitted (the window hinge/slide screws that you mentioned will only attach to the frame). I say IF, because my neighbour had to have his main living room window, which is something like 14ft wide by 4 ft high, removed as part of adding an extenstion and the only thing holding it in was the mastic. The builders said this is quite common.

Reply to
Rory

I'm by no means an expert, but my windows arrived fully glazed. The fixing brackets slid into the side of the frame via a channel. And the whole lot gets covered by foam and or sealer etc. Would make removing rather difficult without damage.

On my same make patio doors, the frame is fixed by screws through the frame in a more conventional manner - these are then covered by a clip on moulding. But it's pretty critical to get the frame absolutely square and level - rather more so than with a window.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thank you

Space, Rory & dave.

Today i scraped the mastic from around the outside of the window ( well what was left of the mastic anyway). The mastic was a bead of say

7 mm dia which i just peeled off. The frame work was then essentially bare. i could put a screwdriver from the outside of the house into the silicone on the inside of the house ! admittedly there was a poor effort to put some sponge stuff in (not expanding foam but more like that stiuff you get on new electrical goods, the thin film of white sheet,, but a bit thicker )

Any way I bought a can of foam stuff and blasted around the framework (then spend a flippin hour getting the excess off with a knife and a wire brush on the bricks) I,m sure there is a cleaner way to apply this stuff but thats another thread and i have finished the job anyway

I then scraped a bit of the foam out all around to give me a bit of depth to apply Glaziers sylicone.

The frame moves no more and I'm chuffed.

Thanks Chaps

Andy

Reply to
Andy Pandy