Double Glazing cost of instalation

I priced up a set of DG french doors and they were less that £600 for supply only. I asked about fitting and it came to £1,300 then down to £1,100. When challenged I was told it was to cover the cost of a FENSA certification and a 10 year warranty.

I feel sure the fitting can be little more that 4 screws into the brickwork and a bit of silicone.

Any views?

Reply to
John

How about removal of old doors and disposal, proper fitting (to do properly it's a bit more than 4 screws and blob of silicone, you need to= bed the step for starters), making good interior plasterwork, fitting materials and consumables etc.

Having said that installation of some large windows I've just had quotes= for comes in at around =A3120/window. The certification (fire and FENSA)= is =A320 extra. All prices + VAT.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You don't say whether that includes VAT or not, but that level of labour charge sounds typical assuming two fitters for half a day, with all the overheads and oncosts that have to be covered. You could ask for several estimates to compare rates, or buy the doors and find your own fitters, or d-i-y.

Reply to
Phil Anthropist

Then fit them yourself and save 500 quid?

FWIW, that's what I did, with patio doors from Screwfix. But it was rather more complicated than a few screws and some silicone to make a decent job. As installing new doors always is.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

FWIW the going rate the fitter gets from a dg company where they supply van and the work is apparently £55 per door, £45 per window, so you should be looking at maybe £150 for a Saturday morning job. My council charges £100 for the certificate. Essentially it is just 4 fixings and a bit of silicone but the way it's done can make life a lot easier. The "trick" is to wedge the frame in position with plastic packers (or strips of hardboard) and take time getting it dead right inside and out. Then spray foam the edges and go away for an hour. Then drill through frame and masonry together and push the window anchors through. BTW you will need a plastic mallet to get the beads in. I've pushed them in in the past but the newer ones have 2 grooves. I'd say at least 50% of the time is spent on trims, making good, removing labels from glass etc

Reply to
Stuart Noble