Double Glazing - can I fit from inside???

Heyyyy, it's daft question time!

Can I fit my double glazing units from the inside of the house??? Or do I have to fit them from outside.

The current rotten wooden ones are fitted on the layer of bricks on the inside of the house, so presumebluy I can just remove the inside wooden sill and fit them that way. Can I?

Thanks for any help. As usual!

Cheers,

Mal.

Reply to
mal jackson

The windows are more easily fitted from inside the house, as the frame of the window is normally placed against the inside of the brick work with sealant between to keep the weather out.

Reply to
BigWallop

Some windows have to be fitted from the inside because they're what's known as 'in check' or 'clap' (depends where you come from). This means that they're fitted behind the front face of the brick work and the hole on the inside skin is slightly larger than that on the outside. Thus when they're offered up through the inside wall they can't fall through the outside hole. (is this making sense?) This is a good way to fit windows because you get an excellent weather seal.

If this isn't the case with you and the openings are the same on both inside and outside walls (here I'm presuming it's a cavity wall) then probably either way will do.

How have you measured them, from the inside or outside? If it's the latter then fit them from the outside as far back from the face of the wall as possible.

Sorry it's been a long day!!!

Patrick

Reply to
Meoww

In article , mal jackson writes

Mine were fitted from the inside, but they needed to get on the ladders to seal them from the outside.

Dont forget that, if you fit your own, you need Building Regs approval.

Reply to
Richard Faulkner