Double glazing and net curtains

OK I'm due for some new double glazing to be fitted any day, don't ask me any tech questions I'm in social housing and they treat me like a mushroom so i suspect it's just the cheapest they could find in the reject bin.

Anyway back OT i know it's not cool nowadays but i do like my net curtains, now i was wondering how they work in the world of double glazing, i don't really want to go down the route of screwing anything into the plastic or using sticky Velcro etc do i have any options other then the Velcro route or just put up with blinds and every Tom, Dick & Harry looking into my living room while I'm scratching me nuts?

Jim

Reply to
Jim

OK I'm due for some new double glazing to be fitted any day, don't ask me any tech questions I'm in social housing and they treat me like a mushroom so i suspect it's just the cheapest they could find in the reject bin.

Anyway back OT i know it's not cool nowadays but i do like my net curtains, now i was wondering how they work in the world of double glazing, i don't really want to go down the route of screwing anything into the plastic or using sticky Velcro etc do i have any options other then the Velcro route or just put up with blinds and every Tom, Dick & Harry looking into my living room while I'm scratching me nuts?

Ask the fitters what they recommend but suspect they'll just say screw the small eyelets straight into the plastic. Alternatively wash your nuts more to reduce the infestation or itching

Reply to
Nthkentman

Do a search for extending net curtain pole. Here's one example.

There was recently a similar question in another forum and whilst I have always employed the eyelets, many people recommended these poles and they have the additional benefit of not damaging the frames.

Andy C

Reply to
Andy Cap

Drill and plug to fix the hooks into the sides of the window reveal.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Get shower curtain fittings and the pole and secure them to the reveals.

Reply to
harry

On Monday 18 March 2013 01:35 Jim wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Fix the wires to the wall either side of the frame?

Reply to
Tim Watts

Having tried several other options in an attempt to do no damage to any frames, including velcro pads and some glues, I did actually use screws. We use the extending rods and the bits that hold the track have countersunk holes ready. Wish I had done that to begin with and would always do so in future. I so hate it when they fall off at annoying times - which they did with other ways of fixing.

Need a very small drill bit because the screws required are pretty small.

Reply to
polygonum

We had a couple of those at our last place for windows that were overlooked from the road, and they worked well.

Dunelm Mill (or The Dunny as they're not-so-affectionately known) are OK if you buy in-store but the usual procedure for ordering online involves claiming to have it in stock, pissing you around for three or four weeks and then telling you they haven't actually got it but they might --- just might --- have it again shortly after hell freezes over. At which point you realise you need to take your business elsewhere...

Reply to
mike

Nonails??

Araldite???

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

We just screwed the brackets to the plastic, I can't see much wrong with that. And yes, I never understood these folks who live in a fish bowl and everyone can look in, unless they're like Mr & Mrs "The Major" next door, look what we've got.

Reply to
brass monkey

Two options I've used successfully in the past:

(a) you can get adjustable-length spring-loaded curtain rails which fit within a recess, with no need for any other fittings etc:

(or

(b) Fix a couple of plastic so-called self-adhesive hooks to the top rail of the window:

(or
and then lay a stiff curtain rod across them. However, I strongly recommend scraping off the self-adhesive pads, and gluing the hooks in place with impact adhesive like Evostik; otherwise they will be guaranteed to fall off (just when you're busy having a good scratch, too).

Method (b) works best for when the window opens; the hooks/rail attach to the opening pane.

(BTW the above links certainly aren't reccomendations, just examples - available much cheaper if you look)

Reply to
Lobster

I should add, ours was a bay window using a flexible rail.

Reply to
brass monkey

Which reminds me, there really was a person called Annette Curtain at my junior school, though not sure about the spelling of her surname, I wa too young to worry. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

That's probably what I would try but the tension and thus the straight pull on the eyes/hooks into the reveal is quite high. Getting the normal small eyes/hooks to hold, if you can get a small enough plug, is probably not very high.

The expandable rods seem like a good idea but at 1/2" dia a bit on the big side. I'd rather have something 1/4" dia...

Maybe a bit of over length 1/4" dowel into 1/4" holes in the reveal. One hole deep enough to take the over length so the other end can be place into it's hole. If dowel is too flexable 1/4" metal rod of some sort.

Also with nets bear in mind that if the lighting level in the room is higher than that outside they become effectively transparent from the outside.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

we use suckers with hooks and extending rod. works ok and easily removable

Reply to
Gary

Too easily - whenever it decides it wants to! Also, where we would want them to fix is where the frame has a mitred join so they would not stick.

Reply to
polygonum

Small screws (size 4 or 6) hold well in hollow pvc but you need a 2mm drill bit for the pilot hole IME

Reply to
stuart noble

I don't know how good they are long term, but at Christmas, we bought some 3M Command self-adhesive hooks from B&Q. They were used to hold up Christmas lights, going around internal corners, so some tension on them and they held well. When no longer needed, a tag of the adhesive pad could be pulled sideways while holding the hook in place and it peeled off leaving no marks.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

LOL yea it might help a bit

Reply to
Jim

Yea thanks for everyone's suggestion the extending net curtain pole is going to be the way to go as far as the windows are concerned, however does anyone have any suggestions for balcony doors? As i have it set right now nets are held in place by hooks and eyes screw things and wire goes across the whole door, so when i open the door/doors the nets stay in place and move with them, i see most folks have suggested some form of adhesive or other, i don't want to go down that route but to be honest it's looking like the only option.

Jim

Reply to
Jim