double-glazing.........

any good websites dealing with the installation of retrofitted double-glazing?

Youtube has loads of videos but they're all about installing into pristine new-builds

a few hours in the local library showed the superiority of books

as they explained installation techniques for the last couple of decades

but some things about placement/retrofitting of a vertical damp course I'm still unclear about

--

Gill Smith

Gill Smith ( snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com) wibbled on Wednesday 02 February

2011 20:39:

I had that problem - wasn't much of a problem though, for me. I was able to have the window frame (uPVC) bridge the cavity DPM and filled the space with foam - and still get the window where I wanted it.

Is that what you meant?

Reply to
Tim Watts

indeed

aligning frame + cavity + damp course, then securing/filling

- the existing installation has damp patches on vertical walls

because the window frame doesn't bridge the cavity

and the vertical damp course was *plastered* to the exterior wall

--

Gill Smith

i.e. down the sides of the window

--

Gill Smith

Gill Smith ( snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com) wibbled on Wednesday 02 February

2011 21:05:

the black DPM (bitumen thingy by the feel of it) in the cavity, which on my house is 90% closed with the turn of a brick.

If you are fitting uPVC, try to span the cavity gap - it's less critical exactly how you span it as the frame is both damp proof and a reasonable heat insulator.

If you were fitting wooden frames, might be trickier - but if you leave a

1/4"-1/2" gap all round which is usually what you have to leave to cope with opening irregularities and measurement errors - you stuff this with PU expanding foam which helps the frame rigidity, blocks damp and is a thermal insulator.

Mind you, though Barrat may rely on foaming for fixing, I still use a few big-assed screws! But foam does help - it's amazing how much a frame that won't fall out, but is still a bit wibbly becomes absolutely solid after the foam sets.

HTH

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

You usually dont need to span the cavity gap totally. Just make sure the uPVC frame goes some way across the cavity. Close the cavity with an insulated cavity closer (usually has integral vertical DPM although not strictly needed with a plastic window frame), or expanding foam maybe. The uPVC frame separates the plaster / plasterboard from the outside skin as long as it crosses the cavity to some extent. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

--

Gill Smith

sm_jamieson (sm snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) wibbled on Wednesday 02 February 2011

22:42:

Interesting. I didn't have a closer as the 1950's house had the cavity mostly closed by a turned in leaf - 1/2" gap with a bit of DPM shoved in.

Reply to
Tim Watts

harry ( snipped-for-privacy@aol.com) wibbled on Thursday 03 February 2011 08:47:

Those retro fit OK...

Reply to
Tim Watts

I thought you'd be younger ;-)

geraldthehamster

just whacked off more plaster work

the house was built with a brick return

phew!

it's a good house (mostly) that's been abominably treated

--

Gill Smith

Like mine, I see your DPC was cut with v. little overlap protruding from the brickwork

p.s. was that fibreglass packed between the hanging DPC and exterior wall?

--

Gill Smith

I meant in this pic

Gill Smith

geraldthehamster ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.co.uk) wibbled on Thursday 03 February

2011 10:12:

I was 20 years younger 7 years ago, then I had kids. well, SWMBO did, but the blast radius is quite wide(!)

Reply to
Tim Watts

Gill Smith ( snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com) wibbled on Thursday 03 February

2011 10:52:

Probably some blown fibre cavity fill escaping...

I did pack a few small voids with glass wool where I had to make good old vent holes, because it was to hand...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Gill Smith ( snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com) wibbled on Thursday 03 February

2011 11:01:

brackets, so I didn;t have to make a mess after we moved in.

Then last winter (2009) was cold so I saled the old window frame in with foam. Good move...

Reply to
Tim Watts

though it was also cheaper, a strip of 6in plastic with a strip of polystyrene the width of the cavity and about an inch deep attached to it. You can see the edge of the plastic is this:

anyone wants to see the other 190 photographs they are at:

Peter Johnson

gone up now. I used these on my extension. Rather extortionate if you think about it. Make your own by glueing some DPC onto celotex (not sure if BCO would approve). Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson