Double glazed windows

I wonder if someone could just tell me, if a double glazed window has condensation in the middle ( between the two panes of glass) does that mean its knackered?

Thanks.

Reply to
sweetheart

More or less, yes.

Will still insulate tho.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes.

Reply to
Dave Osborne

It means the seal has failed on the sealed unit... They are still effective - just don't look nice. Sealed units are relatively cheap to replace though - no need to scrap the whole window.

Reply to
John Rumm

someone, some years back did posts about how they dried out the inside of a sealed unit using a vacuum cleaner and a load of silica gell.

Sounded like a bit of a palaver though to me.

Reply to
chris French

There was a discussion here a while back. Some firms claim they can repair sealed units but as I recall nobody was convinced or had let them try.

Reply to
Invisible Man

The theory is you insert a small tube into one corner of a DG panel, and another tube into the opposing corner. Then pull air via a mini air pump through the tube, through the DG panel, through the other tube which is inserted into a container containing dried silica gel.

The reality is you might get water staining from the misting on the existing DG panel, if it has misted for some time.

You can replace the DG panel - key is not breaking the plastic trim/ seals, you can buy hand rubber-suction pads on Ebay quite cheaply which make it easier to lift the panel, and the white non-marking rubber hammer to tap the seals back into place. I recall a salad or pallet knife is useful for getting the seals out (only seen someone do it, sat typing in a car at the time, the window was "opaque with mist and frozen" 2009 winter).

Reply to
js.b1

The rubber wedge gaskets are probably replaceable from somewhere like here:

Tim W

Cant see my Husband doing that somehow - and I am not even going to tell him its "possible". I certainly could not do it. I have my reasons.

Reply to
sweetheart

The windows must be 20 /25 years old? I did have a letter a couple of years ago from the original fitting company ( cant recall who they were now) saying that it was time to consider replacing the windows.

We didnt because my OH has a mantra, " if it isn't broke, don't fix it, if it is broke, still don't fix it" But that's another story. I cant see repair being cheaper than new at the moment.

Reply to
sweetheart

In message , sweetheart writes

I think the assumption was that these were plastic. It seems they are wooden.

Ha, interesting way of promoting your product - it is so crap they expect it to need replacing in that amount of time :-)how did the Victorians who built our windows mange I wonder?

As I've said in another post, replacement of the DG unit isn't that expensive - might eb worth getting a quote.. Though obviously not worth it if you plan a replacement in the near future.

Reply to
chris French