Double gazing seal

The windows in our house are pretty shoddy - many of the (riveted on) hinges are broken, so the windows can only be closed form outside! Next year, my wife will be a qualified teacher and we might be able to afford to get them changed. In the meantime is it possible to replace the black seal that goes between the glass and the UPVC bit - how do I fit it, what's it called and where do I get it from? Also, the mitred corners of UPVC have rather large gaps in them - can anyone suggest something sensible to fill these gaps until we can afford to replace the whole units?

For those who like pictures, I've put a photo up at

- the grubby marks are where the previous resident did a repair job with black tape!

Reply to
Stephen Gower

Thats not what I call the seal which is around the frame and makes it draught proof. Your bit is part of the DG system. The glazing panels are going to have to come out to replace it.

Contact your local friendly DG company ( NOT Anglia and the like) They have rolls of of the stuff.

silicone sealant.

Thats awful. The frame seems to have come upwelded. Looks like pretty poor quality stuff and/or fabrication.

Reply to
BillR

Bizarre, I was about to ask the very same question - mine are technically still under warranty, but its probably quicker and cheaper to do it myself rather than having to take time off work !

Reply to
Colin Wilson

In this area (Worcs) we have a guy called ' The Double Glazing Doctor' does all the jobs the Big Companies don't want to do, fit one lock, replace one sealed unit. Might be worthgwhile to see if you have someone similar in your area who might be able to supply cut lengths.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Stanton

In message , Stephen Gower writes

Are they aluminium outside with a PVC trim inside, on hardwood subframes by any chance? A few more photos if possible please.

White silicone will fill the gaps.

Reply to
Steven Briggs