Double gang intermediate light switches?

Do they exist?

basically I have three doors in a kitchen that has 2 seperate sets of lights. we need to be able to control either set of lights from any 1 of these three doors.

I can get double gang 2 way light switches in a single gang pattress but am having difficulty finding a single pattress with 2 intermediate switches in it....

I want to avoid modular grid switches on grounds of cost and to get all the electrical accessories looking all the same (i.e. same manufacturer) within the kitchen.

Reply to
Stephen

Information here any use?

Richard

I have never seen such a thing. The normal way is to use all gridswitches in the location to get them matching even if some are only single gang. Gridswitches don't look that different to normal switches esp. if from the same manufacturer. Nobody's going to notice if they are opposite ends of a room.

Reply to
harryagain

Blimey - interesting but it makes you realise how confusing US wiring can be. A switch with 3 terminals is not a 3 way switch. God help us if this confusion comes over here.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

I had a similar sort of problem in plumbing.

I had told my contractor that I wanted what I described as a

3-way diverter. They knew I wanted it to supply overhead shower, bath filler and bath side pencil shower. Only when the box was opened to see how to connect it (after I had drawn a line diagram of the concept) did the problem become clear.

We had fallen foul of Bristan's bizarre nomenclature (1). Their three-way valve has two inputs (one to be blanked off) and two outputs. To get three outputs needs a five-way valve.

Fortunately Bristan are not too far from me, and it was swapped in the nick of time.

(1) Other manufacturers may do likewise.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

If all else fails you could fall back on standard switch plus relay

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I've only ever been able to do this by using grid switches. Some grid switches do match (reasonably) other 'ordinary' ones from the same maker. But if your chosen switches are 'fancy' ones, no chance.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I have several - bought from MK.

Reply to
Geoff Pearson

Got a part number?

Reply to
Bob Eager

Sorry - they are on the wall.

Reply to
Geoff Pearson

Geoff Pearson

Not MK, though. The OP wants it to match his other fittings - but doesn't say what they are.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

What I did once was to remove an intermediate switch off the (single) backplate it came on and fix it to another backplate in place of a two way switch. That was when they were screwed on. might not be so easy when they are "plastic welded" in place.

Reply to
charles

Other than the terminology (3 way rather than 2 way, and 4 way rather than crossover) its pretty much the same as we do (without the wirenuts!))

John Rumm

That does create a bit of a problem when trying to answer the question doesn't it:-)?

Reply to
ARW

Of course CLICK electrical switches are designed for this. It's called modular not grid.

Reply to
ARW

I normally use Marbo stuff from Screwfix.....

At a push if I could keep costs down I night consider using modular for all light switches in the kitchen as the ouside door will have two extra switches for outside lights that need to be 2 way on - off - on to give permanently on or Permanently Off or PIR automatic.

Reply to
Stephen

Contactum 2 gang intermediate - fairly similar to Marbo

rbel

Don't think I've ever seena center off "light switch" or switch module. Do you need it anyway? Many PIRs will latch into permenant on if you toggle the power to them a couple of times over a couple of seconds.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On 23 Apr 2014, "Dave Liquorice" grunted:

Intermediate switches aren't 'centre off'; they just toggle up or down just like a 2-way switch, only the lights are controllable from three places rather than two.

We have one 2-gang one here which controls the landing light from downstairs and at either end of the (long) landing; sorry OP, no idea what brand it is.

Reply to
Lobster