Double Extension Ladders? advice needed!

I've finally given in to her indoors, to purchase a set of ladders.

I only need them for around the house, reach up to the eaves/roof access, as I do need to change the guttering & ridge tiles. I'm undecided between: 6.25m, 7.25m or 8.25m.

I'm also undecided between DIY, Trade & Professional...does the professional where a tie?

Here is a link for a trade double extension:

delivered (7.25m) - Is this a good price?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
john

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 12:12:56 -0700, john mused:

DIY ladders are fine for heights up to about 3-4m extended but they do tend to bounce and sway a fair bit beyond that. For the heights you're wanting to climb to I'd definitely be looking at trade ladders.

>£98.17 delivered (7.25m) - Is this a good price?

Seems reasonable. I usualy recommend , looking at the specs for the trade ladders the Titan ones from Midland look a little sturdier, but that could just be the photos, although I do know from using Titan ladders that they are pretty rigid affairs.

Reply to
Lurch

Can't help, as I don't know how high your gutters are. You need it high enough, with a stand-off, to be able to step off the top of the ladder onto the roof ladder you will have laid to get up to the ridge tiles.

He is heavier than the DIY enthusiast. DIY (BS 2037 Class 3) ladders are rated to 125kgs static load, 95kgs duty load, Trade (BS 2037 Class 2, now replaced by BS EN 131) are rated to 150kgs static load 110kgs duty load (not part of BS EN 131) and Professional (BS 2037 Class 1) are rated to 175kgs static load, 130kgs duty load. The heavier the rating, the more rigid the ladder. I would never buy DIY grade, but Class 1 GRP ladders do get a bit heavy to carry about.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Trade ladders to BS EN131 are the ones to go for IME[1]. The DIY ones are usually only rated for a max load of 95 kg, which for us larger ladder climbers is a non starter! (the only advantage of the DIY ones is they are very light and easy to move about, but I would guess you need to weigh no more than 12 st soaking wet to feel safe on one!)

Look for one with D shaped rungs (far more comfortable than round or square). Personally I prefer box section styles over I section (less sway)

Buy one that goes at least 1.5m past the tallest height you think you need.

[1] This BS covers both trade and industrial spec ladders IIUC.
Reply to
John Rumm

I replaced my standard 3 section ladder with a very good quality all singing and dancing one, can be used as steps, also has a stabiliser for the bottom so that it can be used on uneven ground. I am very satisfied except for one thing, it is heavy. With the result that I am returning to the cheaper model for all its advantages.

Reply to
Broadback

I've got the 3m triple trade version (ref 1102-008), from the same manufacturer/supplier. Highly recommend on all counts - product, service, price, delivery etc.

One thing I would highly recommend is a standoff such as:

particular one is available elsewhere under the name 'Laddermax'.

I hate heights and ladders however with this device I was able to paint my house with relative ease - it significantly aided stability, provided a much need standoff around pipes and the platform was great for the paint tray. Some other more subtle advantages which you may not realise are that it enables you to work leaving against the ladder i=2Ee. no leaning back, and it also stops you looking down wondering what it'd be like to fall!! For gutter/roof work I imagine it would be superb.

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

extension:

>>> £98.17 delivered (7.25m) - Is this a good price?

There is only one rule for painting while on a ladder. do not step back to admire your work!

Reply to
Broadback