dot matrix printer

Well, yes and no.

It wasnt flashy graphics, Just a delivery note.I could have created a PDF, and sent that as an attachment, but I reasoned that a very simple HTML would be as good an not require anything special from the other end.

Most mail clients *accept* HTML...you can control what you send, but not what is displayed.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

A good enough reason, IMHO, *not* to use HTML in emails.

I *always* turn off HTML email viewing BTW. If someone really needs flashy graphics then this can be sent in a suitable attachment.

Reply to
Mark

Does it work as a firefox plug-in yet?

Reply to
Mark

I get sent lots of those. I don't think they are trying to be clever though. I just think they don't know how to use a WP.

I still get word documents where the headers & footers are added into the body of the text. No prizes for guessing how that looks.

Reply to
Mark

I've had to reformat entire theses typed that way.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Oh.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Well what on earth do you need in a delivery note that requires anything other than plain text and a few line breaks?

Reply to
Jules

Because Adobe want to keep their shareholders happy by constantly adding new features to their product and be seen as "making progress", even when their product did what 99.9% of people needed many versions ago?

Ditto most software companies TBH - even UNIX app vendors seem to be going the bloated feature-rich monolithic application route these days.

Reply to
Jules

I think that's the point where it's quicker to save it in a non-Word format and whip up a quick bit of code to do the formatting for you... (I've had to do just that here a few times, unfortunately)

cheers

J.

Reply to
Jules

Way back when PDF was first around, I used to do quite a bit of work with generating postscript and PDF and EPS output for various apps (PDF was originally basically a wrapper around postscript).

However, over the years, Adobe has been able to enhance it to provide additional features such as form filling with protected fields, document security and tracability features, and I would guess wrapping a good deal more than just postscript nowadays (although I'm not longer familiar with the possible types of PDF you might build today).

Secondly, I would say that Adobe is very much the nice guy when it comes to backwards compatibility. Acrobat reader 4 can still open most acrobat 9 files, providing they don't absolutely require some feature it doesn't have. That's in stark contrast to most products in the software industry where everyone would have to be on the latest version. It's not just Acrobat either -- I see the same behaviour in things like Photoshop. I took a fancy Photoshop 5 multi-layer image, and found I could happily open it in Photoshop 2.something, even though the 2.something knew nothing about layers, it still saw the full flattened image. Again, that's just not the sort of attention to backwards compatibility I see in most other software products, and is something Adobe is to be commended for.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Having recently been involved in just that (delivery notes plus invoices, credit notes, etc.) the answer is 'more'!

Logo. Boxes. Lines - vertical and horizontal.

Trying to do this in plain text is not so easy. For a start, monospaced fonts take far more space than proportional (at an approximately similar height). But as soon as you use proportional fonts alignment becomes far more difficult.

Reply to
Rod

Lining stuff up looks quite nice.. so a fixed width font is needed at the least.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Mark saying something like:

Yep, opens up when a .pdf is downloaded.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

In article , Jules

And here. My perhaps bigotted opinion is that sending HTML pages instead of plain text is the mark of a spammer or someone who is brainless. It doesn't help the latter group that BillyGoatware has HTML turned on by default. If it was OFF by default, I reckon there would also be a magmitude less malware circulating too.

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

Thanks. I'll try this again.

Reply to
Mark

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Mark saying something like:

I'm using v2 build 1606, so there's bound to be later improvements, but it works fine for me.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

The message from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

But in fact it doesn't.

Quite. But the vast majority of computer users worldwide do use PCs. And the latest ones are certainly not necessary to run Acrobat Reader.

Reply to
Appin