dot matrix printer

In article , Appin writes

Word is a pain in the bum now it saves its files as docx types. My system hates them and half the software won't see them properly anyway. Just another ruse to make us all update Office or whatever we have on the computer. I don't use Word unless I really have to, usually to filter in work from customers before taking it into another program.

Janet

Reply to
Janet Tweedy

Or, since Word makes an abortion of layout and uses some of the ugliest fonts going by default, one might use the basic set of PostScript fonts across all platforms and thus have consistency between them all. This would mean using Times instead of the Times New Roman and Helvetica instead of Arial. This isn't a bad policy to adopt anyway.

Reply to
Steve Firth

You can alter the default preference to save as word2003 (.doc) files. That's what I've done.

Reply to
<me9

In article , snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net writes

Well my XP wants to save them as zip files for some unknown reason and doesn't give me a choice as to what I could save them as, though it grudgingly allows me to save them as is. I darn's save them as 2003 files in case I am not bringing in something the customer had laid out, (IYSWIM)

Reply to
Janet Tweedy

Last Epsom I had fell at the third fence..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You can also download an add-in thingy to enable Word 2003 load files in Word 2007 format, which is my own preference.

For anyone who hasn't seen it, Word 2007 is the most utterly appalling abomination - when I've been forced into using it I can't see any advantage at all over the previous version; they've simply hidden all the commands away in totally illogical places. The PowerPoint 'upgrade' is even worse; simply totally unusable.

Sounds like you've got something set up wrong there!

I sometimes have to work with external 2007 files too, but no way in hell am I going to change to Word 2007. My solution hasn't caused me any grief at all so far!

David

Reply to
Lobster

I'm glad I'm not the only one. In another newsgroup individuals were insisting that Word 2007 is perfect and much easier to use than 2003. I think that they're all on mind bending drugs.

Last week someone at work asked me how to add a button to an Excel spreadsheet that would change the view of the spreadsheet when a user clicked on it. A piece of cake in Excel 2003, simply call up the "forms" toolbar select button, drag to the spreadheet and attach a macro to display a custom view. We worked through it together then he went away to do it himself. He was back in five minutes - "how do you do that in Excel 2007?"

Another bloody nightmare. Give it a try someday. It starts off with the problem that the forms toolbar is hidden, then you have to solve how to access macro function capability.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Too late:-)

Amazon has the job in hand.

I shall soon be able to report on intermittent use laser problems!

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

It works well.

I actually found PP 2007 much better - but then I never really got into

2003. But I use it quite a bit, and teach Excel 2007 quite a bit too. I like it...I agree about the occasional illogicality, but it was never logical - the illogicality has just moved a bit!

I'm not sure of the context here, but there's certainly an issue with misconfigured web servers. Put an Office 2007 file on there and it'll try to force you to download it as a ZIP file (because that's actually what it is, of course). A fix to the list of MIME types on the web server soon sorts that out.

It generally warns you if saving in 2003 format is going to lose you something.

My wife sends a lot of stuff around (mainly from OO as we don't use Windows except for work). She uses RTF.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I think that might be the key - if you haven't used either you might prefer Office 2007 but if you are a seasoned 2003 user, you might feel somewhat hard done by as a customer having to use 2007! I think the major compatability problems tend to be in Excel, as SF implies, to a level that would seem inexcusable.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Why would anyone want to work in such a place?

Reply to
Huge

Unfortunately we live in a world where not everyone can work in a place they want to work but have to make do with anywhere they can work. Being subjected to astrology just makes the experience slightly more unpleasant, I imagine.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Funny how they all seem to follow their birth signs tho;)..

Especially wimmen;)(.

Reply to
tony sayer

Actually, Excel was the one program I *had* used a lot in the 2003 version! I teach Excel quite a bit (and have done for some years) and found little trouble changing over. It's PP I hadn't used before.

The key (I found) was to take the time to whizz through the Microsoft free online training for it...

Reply to
Bob Eager

The key complaint here, on the other hand, was that graphs etc., done in Excel 2003 just did not appear properly when imported to 2007. This is extremely frustrating and unacceptable. Sure it's possible to make them appear but they should anyway.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Salary, pension, usual things really.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

You're just saying that because you're a [insert star sign here].

One of the things that amuses me about astrology is that the dimwits who follow it don't even realise that the sun and planets are no longer in the relative positions used by astrologers. IIRC they're using an ephemiris that's a mere 3000 years or so out of date.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Hence proving that Microsoft don't have a clue what a GUI is. If you need a training course just to understand the interface then the software is badly broken.

Expletives do not exist that would do justice to my feelings about Office 2007. It's been designed for retards by retards. Drivel would like it.

For a start why does it take up a third of the available screen area just for some cruddy icons that previously occupied a narrow toolbar?

Reply to
Steve Firth

The message from Lobster contains these words:

Rather a good way, actually.

I want someone who can think for themselves and who is reasonably practical. Using Word from choice isn't an indication of either of these characteristics -- just the opposite.

Reply to
Appin

The message from Rod contains these words:

"Word format?" What's that? Not even Word itself can read all the assorted formats produced by previous versions and relatively few Word users can read docx files which are supposed to be the new Word standard.

Avoid agency junk.

Reply to
Appin