dot matrix printer

Not necessarily. You can usually network them. The problems arise finding suitable drivers for machines other than windows.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Line printers turned into flying paper laser printers years ago. I've watched one take a box of fan-fold paper and throw it (lengthwise) through the mechanism, print it, and refold into another box in about

20 seconds. If you need this, you ARE the Inland Revenue.

R.

P.S. I replaced the interminable sequence of cheap ink-jets with a Xerox 6110 colour-laser a while back. I'll never buy another ink-jet. Laser is it.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

For example, I paid £25 for my Laserjet 5m. Apart from a good clean and a new toner cartridge, it's been providing sterling service for years.

Unlike the scabby useless inkjets which are long gone.

Reply to
Huge

In message , Colin Wilson writes

200 miles:-( Nice thought though.

Annoyingly, I have dumped 2 working m/cs myself in the euphoria of colour printing and photo reproduction.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Tip, go throught the nozzle check/clean/nozzle check sequence once then leave it 5 mins before doing it again. I find the "soak" means that the next sequence nearly always produces a proper output.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That would be grand children if we had any. I don't want to transfer colour work away from the office inkjet for jet blockage reasons.

Ah! Worth knowing. Her laptop runs Windows anyway and might as well be a PC as it never moves.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

The cheap ones only have USB and no expansion slot for a network card. If a printer has USB and ethernet they tend to have a proper printer lanaguage as well but not all some have a maker specific language only.

Which effectively makes the printer windows only.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yup. Last two Laserjet 4M+ machines I bought cost me the combined sum of £7. Plus a 15 minute drive to collect. They each needed about 15 minutes work and a good clean, and that's all.

Reply to
Bob Eager

In message , Tim Lamb writes

OK chaps.

Enough already:-)

Cheapo mono laser it is.

At one or two pages per week it still makes expensive copy but much less aggravation.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

%steve%@malloc.co.uk (Steve Firth) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

You're forgetting the _really_ big drawback of an inkjet. They clog if left unused, which results in the already expensive consumables becoming VERY expensive.

Reply to
Adrian

The Natural Philosopher gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Thirded.

I'm with you on the toners, too - genuine cartridges are cheap enough, again, off fleaBay.

Reply to
Adrian

I have a little app for my RISC OS machines called Uniprint which pretty seamlessly uses the PC printer via Windose. Drivers for laser printers under RISC OS are pretty thin on the ground - and those for inkjets don't always give full functionality anyway.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Assuming the nozzle is in the cartridge, simply remove it from the printer and dip the relevant end into a cup of near boiling water for ten seconds or so.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

I'm sure there's the equivalant

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

My £55 (PC Wo***) HP Laser Jet 1018 has printed 7237 pages (as of now) in the past two years - albeit I'm now on my third refill - but it's never missed a beat.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

These kinds of discussions amuse me, in a wry kind of way, since I worked at the place where device independent page description languages were invented (Xerox Interpress, which evolved into Postscript). These kinds of problems were solved over 20 years ago ...

Reply to
Huge

I'm sure there's the equivalant of the prog I use on RISC OS for other operating systems. Lets you print from it to any printer that runs on Windows. Also can be used to open non native files or URLs that are on the RISC OS machine on the appropriate Windows one.

Just for info full details here:-

Dave Plowman (News)

Why buy a printer in order to not use it? I've not really had a problem with clogged nozzles except in the case of the HP 990cxi that I leave in a cupboard in Italy and don't use for six months at a time. Even then, most times the nozzles can be unclogged by removing the cartridge and standing it on a pad of damp paper for a time then running a cleaning cycle.

If one knows that the printer isn't going to be used for a time, it's sensible to remove the cartridges and keep them in a sealed container.

Lasers left to stand can also suffer. HPs seems to try to minimise toner clumping my grinding the toners around from time to time but that only works if the printer is left on 24/7.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Yes, but it doesn't mean it has to be attached TO a WinPC.

A raw queue on a e.g. Linux print server makes the printer 'look' like a networked version of the printer.

Or some print server boxes handle USB.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

...by making the printer have 10 times the CPU and RANM of the desktop computers that drove it..and making a 5 second transfer take 30 minutes...

Postcript? It's an abortion..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher