Doorway needed between Kitchen and Garage

I'd like to put a door between the Kitchen and Garage eventually taking 30% of the garage and making a utility room. I appreciate the use of an external door would be the right way to go, but do I need a builder to cut the hole or can I do this myself? Acro's needed? lintle? or do I just get a big circular saw and cut each side and bash out?

Reply to
Vass

Car, clutch, reverse, let out, crunch, bleedin great big doorway :)

Cheers Dan.

Reply to
Dan delaMare-Lyon

Well I forgot to add:

Phone car ins co Phone house ins co

:)

Mind you - in the case of an old volvo you wouldn't need to to the car ins co - but might have to claim on buildings ins for total destruction of house :)

Cheers dan.

Reply to
Dan delaMare-Lyon

"Vass" wrote

Recommend Building Control involvement in this! Lintel definitely needed. Fire spec door needed. Eventually change of use permission may be required for utility - planning permission also perhaps, as you are reducing your car parking allocation.

That's if you want to do it properly of course. Otherwise, the previous posters "car-hard-in-reverse" would do it! Wouldn't like to hazard a guess how long it would take for the unsupported wall to collapse though!

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

You could do this yourself, provided you do some research and take precautions. Remember, if you get it wrong, demolition and death or injury might result.

Probably, but possibly not depending on the lintel design.

Definitely.

Definitely not!

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

You'll maybe need more than this as it will be (initially) a door from the house into a garage. The fire-spec regulations will be tight because of the possibility of fuel fires, which will mean a hefty fire door, tumescent seals etc. and possibly a step over threshold (unless it's a step down into the garage) for bunding purposes. Can be done fairly easily but has to be done properly.

If you did it all in one go and replaced the main garage door with a window and turned it into a room (for example) the above wouldn't apply of course as it would no longer be a garage.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

But no longer a garage if I take 30% out with a stud wall and make a utility room leaving what was the garage effectivly a large shed (bit enough for a motorbike granted) p.s. also there is a side door to the outside that will be incorprated in the utility and another door to the garage/store room. does this change matters?

Reply to
Vass

Basically, if you poured petrol onto the floor in the garage, could liquid and low lying vapour pour into the house?

If so, you need a step.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Your email *implied* you were doing the door *first*, in which case building control would assume it was a garage. I suspect that the mere presence of a stud wall would not be enough either, as it could be removed by a subsequent owner to change the room back to a garage quite easily. I suspect that only removal and bricking up of the vehicle access door would stop it being a garage but you would have to take advice on this from your local building control.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Yes, that was the intention so new owners could revert back to garage Thanks for your input I have emailed my local building control to see what I need to do next thanks again

Reply to
Vass