Doors and glazing

Have been looking at fairly low-end internal doors - with glazing.

Many seem to have plastic glazing frames and dividers. In white with nicely placed holes (probably left from nailing them in place).

Asked, and were told that they were not paintable. (That is, the door is, but the glazing surrounds are not.) So absolutely stuck with that white finish forever even if you paint the rest red, blue, or even delicate pink.

Please tell me that this isn't that case. That the manufacturers have used a paintable plastic.

Reply to
polygonum

Most of this sort of plastic is PVC. It paints very well with ordinary oil based paint - no undercoat needed. Dunno about water based paints, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Looking further, the appalling fit of the plastic to the rest of the door is enough to put anyone off.

Given we are in an era of water-based paints, I don't want to have to piss about with oil-based for little bits here and there.

Reply to
polygonum

Surely unless its very soft and rubbery, there is usually a finish for most plastics. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I am not saying it absolutely cannot be painted - but I was hoping it was specially prepared to take the same paint as the rest of the door. Otherwise it is fiddling around and getting a different paint for this tiny area.

I can't imagine many sites bothering to do this properly, if the same paint can be applied, no matter how poorly adhering, that will be done.

Reply to
polygonum

I *think* it will paint OK with water based gloss or even ordinary emulsion. Give it a good rub down with fine steel wool, this will roughen the surface and provide a key.

Reply to
newshound