Doorbell problem

Both my wife and myself are past our sell-by date! Our hearing's not too good. I would like to fit some door bells that we can hear! Unfortunately all I can find are ones that go 'ding-dong' or play anything up to 28 different tunes. It seem that good old fashioned bells are no longer available, or am I wrong? Can anyone advise where I can get some ordinary bells from?

Reply to
fido

SJP

"fido" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@79g2000cws.googlegroups.com:

It seem that good old fashioned

??

mike

Reply to
mike

thanks for the information

Reply to
fido

In message , mike writes

I've just fitted one of these because due to years of abuse my hearing isn't as good as it was and I didn't always hear the bell.

need to rectify the ac that is normally used for door bells but that was a small price to pay for being able to hear the darned thing. It's quite audible in the garden too! It didn't like the small bulb used to illuminate the bell push as it passed enough current to cause the sounder to chirrup a bit.

Reply to
Bill

Standard underdome bells are still easily available from a wholesaler. If the house is large, put in two. They'll run happily off one suitable transformer.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

What _do_ seem unobtainable nowadays are large(ish) traditional dc buzzers (not piezo devices, which sound awful).

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Or the sheds, bought a battery operated RINNNNNNGGGGGGG as long as the button is pushed bell the other month from one of the sheds.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Buzzers sound pretty awful too, though. And are difficult to differentiate between, if more than one. Sounders can be made to do near any noise.

Other thing is at one time the 'standard' Friedland underdome bell was universal - now seems to be only available in AC, unless you buy one as part of a battery operated kit and remove it from the box.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'm guessing there's a few words missing from the middle of that sentence...

One alternative might be wireless chimes. Put the chime unit where you

*can* hear it, or have multiple ones. I got a =A310 wireless set from B&Q - if you buy more than one, set them to the same frequency and they should all ring when the button is pushed. (The spare push could be used on a side or back door, possibly, or just kept as a spare.)

--=20 "It's like Deja Vu all over again..."

Reply to
John Laird

Shed ones tend to be Byron, whose gongs tend to be on the weak and tinny side.

Either a Friedland Underdome bell, or if you can get a source of 24Vdc a fire bell.

Some of the wireless ones have flashing lights on the receiver, which can be a good idea too.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

In most normal households that would mean wearing a pair as headphones...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

As an alternative solution, we use decent quality (Friedland) wireless doorbells. These do the ding dong, thing. However, we have several receiver units, so that the volume is good in every room, not just near the door. They are also portable and can be carried into the garden when gardening/barbecuing. We can even take them with us when we visit the neighbours!

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Why doesn't someone make a wirelss mini unit that you can attach to your belt and carry it around the house with you are in to the garden,garage etc .

Reply to
Stuart

In message , Stuart writes

A bit of overkill but this would do. I have fitted them attached to bell pushes for hotels and warehouses etc. so that where ever you are you get the call, they will also interface to a phone line so that you know it's ringing, although it's probably easier to carry a mobile. The display will tell you exactly which input has triggered.

Reply to
Bill

Here's a really good old fashioned bell...

Bob Eager

They do (or did - I see it is being discontinued...). We have a personal alarm system that is compatible with our Friedland wireless front door system, but uses a different cadence. See:

vibrates as well so is useful on tables, etc... It's in daily use - but not by me :-) (I hear the door repeaters - I hate the sound since it seams to say "Get up quick" 3 times...))

Reply to
JohnDW

HELLO !! IT'S ME !! I'M AT YOUR FRONT DOOR !!!!

Reply to
John Laird