doorbell

My grandmother's door bell stopped working (one that's mains powered, via a "hard of hearing" box which also makes a series of lights flash in her house), so I bought a new "mains powered" 8V bell from B&Q. It doesn't work properly though; it rings once when you press the button in, and once again when you release it. I'm guessing the bell wants AC but is getting DC. It doesn't say on the packaging or the instructions whether it wants AC - only "8V 1 amp". Are most mains powered bells AC?

The old one was designed to be battery powered by two 1.5V "D" batteries and the electrician who fitted the "hard of hearing" box and flashy lights just replaced the batteries with a cable from there, so I guess it could have been more than 3V and it burned out after a few years. Sadly I can't find my multimeter to see what it's actually outputting.

alex.

Reply to
Alex

Errr... that's what a doorbell often does... "Ding Dong!" ??

Why do you think that's wrong :-(

Reply to
AJB

You want a bell that rinnnnnnnnnnnnnngs continously when the supply is connected. Take that ding-dong bell back....

BTW Your sig is a bit weak and might work against you in newsgroup posts. I'm not sure I'd have a TSO in my office who couldn't work out situations like the above. I don't mean to patronise... but....

:-)

-- Adrian C

Reply to
Adrian C

No, it IS that kind of bell that I bought, but it doesn't work that way when connected to (I think) DC. It's far too quiet to be a "chime" kind.

The question was really whether they tend to be AC powered or not. It's the right kind of bell otherwise.

Reply to
Alex

Most mechanical bells, that are designed for connection to a transformer, rather than batteries that I have seen, are AC - Isn't there an AC symbol on the bell ~ is AC a line with a dashed line is DC - like a =, but one of the lines being dashed)

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

This is the bell I bought:

Alex

transformer.")

Reply to
Grunff

Alex has brought this to us :

What you have there is what is known as a 'chime', if it makes a ding

-dong noise. That is the way it is designed to work, a ding when pressed, a dong when released.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

It's a 50Hz synchronous (AC) bell mechanism then. OK, hands up. I misunderstood from the post. Your system is, as you rightly guessed, is feeding out DC - so the armature goes ding on one bell and rebounds ding on the other (or same bell) when disconnected. Which is also a description of the intermittant ding-dong chime type. Grrrrr....

Sorry, come back and work as a TSO in my office. I'll get me coat/P45...

:-)

-- Adrian C

Reply to
Adrian C

adjusted. The dome will be ecentric on the centre screw - if you loosen the screw a little and turn the dome cover, you should be able to find a position which works. Then tighten the screw.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

It will work perfectly on AC or DC, the problem is that it would need a rather large battery and expensive battery.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 18:24:44 +0100,it is alleged that "Harry Bloomfield" spake thusly in uk.d-i-y:

I have seen 2 different designs of these, one is the standard 'break the contacts as soon as the armature moves, rinse and repeat' trembler bell action which IS ac or dc compatible, and one uses a magnetised core (generally much smaller in size than the trembler one) to operate in sync with the 50Hz AC mains. If this is one of the latter, or one of the former in a badly adjusted state, it would give the symptoms described.

Reply to
Chip

I've seen some beels (this isn't a chime, it's a ringing bell) which don't have contacts, and rely on the AC to grab/release the striker - from the OP's description, I'm assuming that this is such a bell.

Reply to
Grunff

Nope, these type typically have a solenoid, the plunger of which strikes the bell housing, but on its travel it actuates a normally-closed contact, thus releasing the supply to the solendoid. Having "dung" the bell, the spring contact of the nc-contact (or an ancillary spring) returns the plunger to the neutral (energised position) ready for the cycle to be repeated.

Basically - runs off AC or DC, doesn't really matter.

To the OP - these tend to have a meaty solenoid so just make sure the supply is sufficiently rated.

Reply to
Mike Dodd

The underdome bell says transformer only. It is unlikely to function on DC.

Most 'chime' bells just go ding (when pressed) dong (when released). A friend has a very old freidland with a mercury tilt switch which keeps going ding-dong until released. It always seems odd pressing the push to hear ti repeat.

Reply to
<me9

Can you not stick a sign up asking people to press it repeatedly? Around

50 times a second would probably be best :)

HTH,

Darren

Reply to
dmc

The "8V 1 amp" is the giveaway - batteries with such voltage don't exist as far as your concerned. Hence, it's after AC.

As others have mentioned some AC bells will work from DC but given you're having problems I wouldn't make that assumption for yours.

Reply to
Mathew J. Newton