Door Widths

Where can I get information on standard (UK) door widths in which manufadcturers make their doors?

Sidkney

Reply to
SidKnee

There is no standard the usual size is (I think) 30inches but some are 27 some are more some are less! anything other than the 30 needs probably to be special ordered

Reply to
Oliver

IME, 30", with 27" and 33" cropping up sometimes too.

Talking of which, I've been keeping an eye out for two glass panelled half doors for a 30" opening, but not seen anything. Does anyone have any suggestions of suppliers?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Have you looked in Wickes?

Andy.

Reply to
andrewpreece

Yes. They have a bi-fold door (which would probably convert to two singles -- not checked though), but ISTR it comes with one large etched glass panel in the top half in each side. I was thinking more of something with 5 or 6 rectangular/square plain (or better, bevelled) panels going all the way down each door. You can get single doors with two columns of glass panels, but I've yet to find two half doors with the same arrangement.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

A door catalogue, from someone like John Carr or Magnet.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Ask at Jewson, or you could make the doors, if you've a gauge, chisel, mallet, tenon saw, set square, sash cramps, glue, glass, timber, etc.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Already did. After a number of clueless glances between all the staff behind the counter, "I think you'll have to have that made up by a carpenter, Sir".

I don't mind buying tools I need, but I haven't yet found anyone selling a round tuit...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Sounds as if you're asking the wrong people - you want the office bloke! They should've at least looked through a few catalogues. They do a bespoke service, but I don't know who the manufacturer is nowadays.

It doesn't actually take all that long. Selecting the timber is important, though.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

I make doors to fit the hole in the wall - but if you are making a new hole make sure it is compliant with Building Regulations on wheelchair friendliness.

Reply to
Biff

Ballcocks.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Only if you're erecting a new building around the hole - this wouldn't apply to an existing building.

David

Reply to
Lobster

That's plumbing, not joinery.