Door Weatherboard

I have offered to replace a rotted weatherboard on the bottom of a neighbours back door.

It occured to me that I could screw it on by drilling through the door and using long screws - rather than screwing from the outside and having to fill the counterbores.

Any views?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Carry on, it's what I sometimes used to do when they were 'all the rage' - but if you want a decent finish on the door's internal decoration, you still have to fill the countersinks for the screw heads (or polyfila [1] or pellet 'em).

Another method of fixing is simply to spread a bit of mastic on the back of the board and nail the thing on (with oval headed nails punching the heads of the nails below the surface and fill the holes with a bit of putty [or even mastic]).

[1] Try not to use polyfila (or any water based filler) on unpainted steel/ferrous fixings, as it can cause them to rust.

Cash

Reply to
Cash

You want something to seal against water running down behind it even if you screw it. A thin line of window putty was sometimes used, but there are probably better things around today.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel