Door trimming saw

Have many people used the special door trimmer saws? Do you get a good result? It does seem a neat idea compared to taking the door off its hinges.

Also, the only ones I have seen are circular blade types, and I would have though they would not go right up to the hinge because the architrave would get in the way. Do you have to finish off with a padsaw then?

If the only way to get a decent result is to to the door off its hinges then that's what I'll do. Trouble is that I find it's usually quite a battle to rehang the door afterwards.

Thanks

Geoff

Reply to
GB

Make up some timber wedges - then it's easy to replace a door single handed.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No idea about trimming in situ, however to get the door off, first use a sharp knife to cut right through the paint around the hinges, then open the door to 90 degrees. Get a thin board , push it under the door, chock it up with a block to support the door. Unscrew the screws 'till the countersunk portion of the head clears the hinge. Use the board under as a lever to break the paint seal. Remove all screws but one in the top hinge and one in the bottom. Support the door to stop it falling over, an assistant is ideal, and remove the remaining screws. Rock the door using the board to withdraw the hinges sideways:

Lining

-------o -----> hinge out this way |#### |# Door |####

Don't pull the hinge flatways out of the lining, else the timber will "break out".

To re-fit, tidy up the paint at the edges of the hinges/housings, put the door back on a piece of board, put a block of timber under the board, use this as a lever, pressing on the end of the board, to get the hinges to pop into their housings. N.B. *Find the threads* when replacing the screws, don't just put the screws in and do them up. If any screws were different sizes, you should have noted that on removal, & replace appropriately.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Do you really need to trim the edge with the hinges on? Usually easier to do the other side, even if you have to sink the lock a bit deeper.

It really is the only way. A circular saw against a batten is quick and easy (and accurate) . I usually lay the door on a couple of plastic storage type bins, which gives you a nice working height

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I got the impression he wanted to take some off the bottom of a door (i.e. for carpet clearance), not make in narrower...

Yup, if you do want to make it narrower rather than shorter then you would have to take it off the hinges and probably trim both sides unless you want it looking lop sided!

Reply to
John Rumm

Well, he did say

Which would be a strange way of going about things...

Reply to
Stuart Noble

No, I think his point was that if you try and trim the door in situ with one of these saws (with the door closed so you know you're trimming to the desired clearance) then you'll cut through the architrave and into the door frames before you finish the cut on the bottom of the door (the blade being circular and all that).

Reply to
RichardS

-- Pete

Reply to
Pete

Thanks - that was indeed my point. I am sorry I did not make it clearer.

Sounds like you guys all have the door off its hinges and shortened before I would even get to the hire shop to hire the door trimmer. I have several to do, so i was just looking for the simplest way. Unless I come across someone who has actually used one of these and can say it works well, I think that I will just take the door off. Thanks, BTW, for the detailed instructions on how to do that.

Regards

Geoff

Reply to
GB

That sounds great - do you know what it's called, please?

Reply to
GB