Door locks - help needed

My front door is a metal-faced timber core door (don't know what it's called), and has a mortice sash lock. Fine in terms of security, but not convenient. Firstly, the key is a long brass thing, which doesn't fit in a key case very well. Secondly, if I want to secure the door whilst someone is inside the house I have to deadlock the door and either leave the key in the door (meaning that someone else can't come in with a key), or take the key out of the door and hang it up nearby.

I would prefer to avoid fitting a separate nightlatch, as it will involve another hole in the door, and the metal facing makes it difficult. Is there a nightlatch kind of lock that will fit into the hole made by one of these

?

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

Firstly is it an IG door as shown on this site?

it is, then it usually comes complete with a 5 lever mortice lock as you have shown in your link. If this is not the case, then there should be a 'lock block' built into the door that will enable you to cut out the frame to fit the new lock. (This is presuming that it is the standard IG door).

Cash

Reply to
Cash

In article , Hugo Nebula writes

It looks like you're wanting a nightlatch action incorporated into your sashlock but I'm not clear on the details of what your wanting regarding opening or possibly restricting opening from either side.

You can fiddle a mortice based nightlatch and deadlock system using the Union L224402 euro cylinder escape lock. Have a look at the description of the operation here to see if it might meet your needs:

have used it in an application like the one you describe so can offer some advice, let me know if it's close to what you're looking for and I can give you the details. I used it without handles with all functions controlled by key from the outside and a thumbturn on the inside.

It's unlikely to be an exact replacement but it could minimise the work required on the door.

The round brackets broke the link for me, angled are better for links, as below but it still requires flash so some old timers may not bother to look:

Reply to
fred