Door Hinges Jig

I made myself a routing jig for hinging doors today out of a piece of architrave. It works OK for the doors themselves but of course I can't get the full cut out of the door frames with it because of the rebate.

The only thing I can think of it to build another jig to do the frames but this means carrying two jigs, resetting the router and the possibility of mismatching cuts.

Any suggestions?

Buying the Trend jig is not on because of the need to have the hinges set at the distances specified by the owner, which will vary from job to job. Besides, the latest ones are (or were last time I looked) £70 for a four hole jig and £40 for a three.

Reply to
Michael McNeil

Snap

I made my self one works great on new doors and frames but no good for frames with door stop and architrave fitted I think you might need two jigs let us know how you get on

Reply to
Andy Milner

Easier to do it by hand with a bit of practice. You need a sliding bevel. sharp knife or scribing point , marking guage, sharp chisel or two, mallet. If you try to use a router then you end up fiddling with jigs etc and needing different ones for different jobs, not to mention the noise, dust, general inconvenience, why bother it's no quicker, though perhaps it could be in a production set up for long runs.

cheers

Jacob

Reply to
jacob

Looks like a compromise between the router and chizel is on. There is some variety in the widths of the door frames anyway so no real saving with a jig.

Reply to
Michael McNeil

If you have the jig and a router then it is a vast saving. I got mine from someone at work but never used it. Then one day I looked at it again and saw it had the right bit in it and a "top-hat" as part of the plate.

It makes a tremendous saving if you are doing a lot of houses. I am a second fix joiner. The doors I am fitting at the moment are hardboard faced so routing is easier for even just one door. (I hate that stuff!)

Reply to
Michael McNeil