Door comunicators!

We are getting a little worried about late night callers, and I wondered about fitting a communication system, which I'm sure I've seen, one which enables you to takl to the callers before opening the door.

I've just had a look in a local DIY store but couldn't see anything like this, plenty of door chimes which is not exactly what I'm looking for.

So, where will I find such a gadget?

Reply to
Alan Holmes

You could try Maplins. They have a range of door intercoms.

Reply to
ABC

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 13:23:31 GMT,it is alleged that "Alan Holmes" spake thusly in uk.d-i-y:

They do audio only amd audio+video versions.

HTH

Reply to
Chip

Screwfix

David Lang

A web search for things called "Audio Door Entry Systems" should give you loads to look through.

Reply to
BigWallop

I beleive Wickes do a DIY CCTV system, that would probably do what you want!

Reply to
Dark Angel

A quick addendum, I see Wilko's do a CCTV camera kit that connects to the back of your TV set. That might be a cheaper opyion than a door entry system?

Reply to
Dark Angel

Door entry systems allow two way communications. Sound only - or with video. A CTTV camera into your TV will only allow you to see - and possibly hear - the person at the door. But not to talk to them.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

True, but you can see wether or not its just some annoying salesmean/canvasser/religous type and choose not to answer.

Some CCTV systems also allow you to speak to the person in front of the camera. Just a thought I had and decided to mention in case it was an option he might wish to consider.

Reply to
Dark Angel

Not then a basic CCTV system, but a form of entry phone, etc.

True - but I'd expect an entry phone system to also include an auto door lock release. Otherwise you might as well just have a spy lens.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

But then you'd still have to get up just to see who it was, at least with the CCTV you can decide wether to answert the door or not from the comfort of your armchair.

Hmmmmm, I'm beginning to like the sound of this. I think I may have to invest in one of these, would be a much better way of dealing with the riff-raff.

:-)

Reply to
Dark Angel