Door binding on frame - why?

About 12 months ago a mate fitted 4 new decent quality interior doors for us. He is brilliant with wood, I'm not. For the past week one of the doors has been binding slightly on the casing. The casing has not moved, the hinges are still tightly screwed in and the joints on the door are not coming apart. Nothing heavy is hung on the door, just a dressing gown. Door does not get direct sunlight, house is not damp. House is about 50 years old, so I doubt subsidence. I just sanded a bit off the offending part of the door and it is now fine. Has anybody got any ideas why this door should suddenly start to bind?

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

I have one that I have to sand down a bit most years. I think it's just absorbing moisture from the air in summer.

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

Yep. Indoor humidity is max in summer.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

One door, er, next door is binding but once the temperature drops and the humidity gets back down to reasonable levels it'll be OK. It did the same in the hot weather and then was OK. Don't go taking bits off or it'll be gappy when it shrinks.

Reply to
PeterC

Humidity, yes. There was very little dust on the floor as I sanded very little off the door. Thanks to all that replied.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Sure? In Scotland it's about 60% all year round.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

I hope you gathered up every grain by hand.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

just rub the offending part with a candle.

Reply to
critcher

HA! and Yeah. I did actually try a smear of Vaseline whilst looking for the quick easy fix. It did not work.

But, thanks anyway :-)

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

a candle is wax, not petroleum jelly. All good woodworkers carry a candle in their toolbox.

Reply to
charles

Seems counter-intuitive until you realise there's a reason that everything is wet in Winter.

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

Your humidimeter is wrong?

Reply to
James Wilkinson

Well wood does change with heat, like central heating which can put stresses in it but my experience of this is normally that the door twists, ie it at the bottom before the top etc.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Pounder bought cheap shit doors. I've never had a door change, not an internal one anyway.

Reply to
James Wilkinson