Don't buy a Vaillant Central heating boiler - they're crap

It'd be nice to see some statistics. When there are gas leaks and explosions they quite often make the news, so probably not too hard to track down, but did anyone record who installed/maintained the device that leaked gas, and whether they were qualified?

I'd like to see how 'we' compare with 'them'. I mean, there are probably a lot more of 'us' than there are of 'them' and consequently I'd expect to find the majority of faulty/failed/fatal gas installations to be 'our' responsibility.

Obvious idiots are to be discounted from 'our' numbers, of course - but cannot be ignored in 'their' numbers (should there be any).

Justin.

Reply to
Justin C

You can't adapt them, without potential insurance implications.

The board has a CE mark which is no longer valid once you start changing / adding components

Reply to
geoff

In message , gareth writes

Vaillant are better than most, it's the boiler of choice for most fitters around here

I used to recommend WB, but no longer think that their build quality is good enough

I think that you should go out abnd buy an Ideal ICOS - you'd spend so much time trying to get it working that you wouldn't get around to posting such drivel here

Reply to
geoff

In message , gareth writes

Aha - not bothered checking the regulations

Reply to
geoff

In message , nafuk writes

UP to 6 years IIRC

Reply to
geoff

Servowarm were badged glowworm boilers IIRC

they didn't actually make their own

Reply to
geoff

You can

You can touch any part as longer you are "competent". "Competence" is defined by your results.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Vaillant and W-B are mid-range. The best are ATAG and Intergas (Atmos) . Both are Dutch.

Avantaplus are better than Vaillant.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

The HSE are more concerned with unregistered installers doing dangerous work, who charge for it. Most problems are not with DIY.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I'm not an installer of any kind, but I do get trade discounts on plumbing and looking at what I can get on the two makes, were I an installer, there would be a financial incentive for me to push Worcester over Vaillant.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

"Doctor Drivel" wrote: [snip]

Indeed, for example anyone who uses the wrong tool to do the job and ends up with leaking tubes and fittings is clearly incompetent.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I anticipate that should there be any form of accident following any such tampering, even though the accident be unrelated in any way to the tampering it would seem to the insurers that they'd have a case for refusing to pay out.

Therefore I leave the CH to competent gasmen and electrical matters to Part P qualified tradesmen.

Reply to
gareth

Who do you call in to SWAAAR your twig?

Reply to
FranK Turner-Smith G3VKI

Most with some *skill* would be able to use the 'wrong' tool and not end up with leaks. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On Mar 26, 2:10=A0pm, "Triffid" wrote: [snip]> I'm really surprised - I've always regarded Vaillant is one of the best

I've been researching for a new boiler (waiting for the warmer weather before purchasing/ installing) and have come to the conclusion that WB boilers look good, however, I was interested to note that even WB offer a choice of Stainless steel or Aluminium heat exchangers

- with copper heating tubes. Now with 'slightly acidic' condensate', I would've thought copper and aluminium would not be a good electro-potential combination.

--

Reply to
Catweazel

This from the man who previously has recommended that someone who needed under 20kW of domestic heating should buy an industrial grade 51kW boiler.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Well yes, I've been cutting plastic tube with a hacksaw and deburring the ends with a Stanley knife for ages. Never had a leaking push-fit fitting yet. But I didn't want over-tax Dribble's brain[1].

[1] yes, yes I know.
Reply to
Steve Firth

This pervo needs tagging.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

This plantpot is in need of Special Needs. He must eff off for his own good.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

You have not broken the law. You are within the law. What you did not cause the fault. They have to pay out.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel