Domino wok hob recommendations sought

We're thinking about something like this, a single wok burner to fit alongside an existing cooker.

trouble is, they seem to be pretty silly money compared to the price of a full four or five burner gas hob. Is the NEff worth the money?

Anyone got one that they'd recommend or know of ones to avoid? I'm working on the principle that more heat output is better (I don't want to go to all this trouble to find I have something barely more powerful that my own gass cooker).

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

For decent cooking with a wok agreed, when I was in China a common method was a forced ventilation (think hair drier on high) of pressed coal blocks with holes through them to allow the air flow. Sort of a mini blacksmiths hearth, plenty of heat outside of wok would glow red...

The page you link to gives an output of 5.6kWh. I think yer average large gas ring will be hard pushed at 3kWh and will have a cold spot in the middle of the ring of flame[*]. A wok burner has flames inwards as well as outwards.

[*] I used to take the flame spreader off my gas cooker and have a single flame about an 1" dia and 12" high when I wanted to use the wok. Still wasn't really hot enough though but without the central cold spot.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice