Domestic heating oil: Smaller quantities

Why would it force the differential down? If anything, a greater proportion of smaller deliveries may mean greater overheads and push the price up.

If people are buying in 500l lots instead of 1000l lots then that's what they are doing. How does that affect the price? People are still buying the oil. The local supplier only loses the smaller deliveries if another supplier is cheaper. That's called competition and is just as applicable to the large deliveries.

What's the agenda behind your question? Are you trying to screw a lower price out of a supplier for a smaller delivery?

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Only the 8th of April, 48.85 ex VAT, for 2000l.

I got in just before sudden 2p hike. Other quotes were 49.95, 55.98, 50.95 & 52.39. Local company that is nearly always about 1p cheaper than anyother supplier. They only have to come about 10 miles to us others have to do nearer 50 miles round trip...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Well to shift 1000l of oil one would have to be a bit organised even if you were just going to put it in your own tank. 1000l is 50 jerry cans,

500l is 25 they would fill a medium/large trailer and weigh quite a bit. 500l of kero weighs about 400kg...
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

As others have said the delivery overhead is much the same regardless of quantity. When my mum had oil heating - probably one of a small minority in the area - IIRC the cheapest option was automatic top-up: IOW if they had a tanker in the area they would refill your tank, saving a special journey.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

No, but if I were, what is wrong with that?

MM

Reply to
MM

But there have been many thefts (ordinary household thefts) from houses while the owners have been in bed asleep. So stealing oil from a tank in a remote part of the garden would seem pretty easy, really. Unless there are dogs in the vicinity...

Also, what about when residents go to work? Or to church on Sunday?

MM

Reply to
MM

But how would one know that one is constantly getting the best deal?

MM

Reply to
MM

The filler cap is on the *top* of my tank, and completely useless for emptying it...

Reply to
Huge

You don't. You can't have it both ways.

Reply to
Huge

And just how would you transport the oil? You'd need a large tank mounted on a vehicle and probably a pump to get it in there.

I'd hope neighbours might find it strange to see a pikey vehicle with a tank loading up at a house.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'd say transferring the contents of most tanks to a portable one would involve a pump.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Siphon it into a low container.

Reply to
Dan Smithers

Lots of rural dwellings are isolated from immediate neighbours.

MM

Reply to
MM

Er, did you, as a youth, never need to syphon petrol out of your mate's car to get you home?

MM

Reply to
MM

I think I'd rather have the choice of finding the best deal WHEN I actually need the oil.

MM

Reply to
MM

Even if that actually gave you a worse price?

clive

Reply to
Clive George

I know criminals are stupid, but do you really think some pikey is going to

*syphon* heating oil out of a tank?
Reply to
Huge

Your choice. Nobody forces you have the auto top-up service - some people would rather have the convenience than the money.

Reply to
Huge

Why not? They are daft enough to try and steal the copper from 11kV lines without dumping the line first...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Huge saying something like:

Of course not. They turn up in a Transit with a heating oil tank in the back of it. A 2" petrol-powered pump, and Bob's yer dodgily-moustachioed brother's auntie.

There's a real spate of heating oil thefts in rural areas and has been for the past couple of years. Many rural properties are occupied by working couples and the thieves know when the house is empty. Here's a tip: you often find pikeys wandering around looking for scrap - they have eyes in their head and take everything in, often passing the info on to other pikeys who are up for a bit of oil theft.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon