domestic gas bill

I'm not surprised your bills are low, then. Most will want their house at somewhere between 18-22C. Not much point in having central heating if it's not used.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On Mon, 02 Apr 2007 10:27:35 +0100 someone who may be "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote this:-

Those who want to wander round in thin clothes with nothing on their feet.

There is a difference between use and over-use.

Reply to
David Hansen

... and why shouldn't they?

Over use would be if the windows were wide open and the thermostat set to 28 degrees.

Reply to
Andy Hall

WHAT? No wonder we're uncomfortable in some houses. We're not tropical plants.

It is used, it just doesn't make us feel the need to take off clothes :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Indeede. People can be as profligate as they like but they shouldn't then complain about high bills.

Nobody's ever felt cold iin our house - I'm sure insulation is the reason.

The front of the house faces due south so when it's sunny, like today, the dining room acts as a heat store. We shall be eatiing lunch in the garden, it's too hot in the house and there's no point in preventing all that free heat coming in by closing the curtains.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I prefer to keep outdoor clothing for outdoors.

You have a thing about saving energy regardless. That's your prerogative. But doesn't help answer the sort of question the OP asked.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You must hate the summer then. Perhaps you spend all the money you save in gas for heating on electricity for air conditioning? My house never falls below 10C for much of the year with no heating at all...

As I said I don't want to wear outdoor clothes indoors. It's unhealthy.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

At 10C? Even you will - in a few years.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It rarely gets down to 10C! And we might not be around in a few years, we're over retirement age.

You don't understand, it's a warm house. If we've been away for a few days in cold weather the house is cold. When we're there our body heat helps to keep it warm, as well as other activities like cooking, ironing etc. When we have guests, as we did last night, it was too warm even for them and one of them (a 22 yo grandson) is very thin and wore only a T shirt.

We never get colds, only dramatic illnesses and then rarely.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Oddly enough, so do I! We don't wear outdoor clothing indoors.

Regardless of what?

Do your answers?

It's called 'thread drift' and happens all the time :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

We do. Even in Yorkshire it can be far too hot for us.

Certainly not, we close the thick curtains on the south side of the house and open doors and windows.

But we DO have heating. There are several sources, as I've explained. Most of the heat generated by whatever means is retained by the insulation.

We're not unique!

I don't know about unhealthy but it would be uncomfortable. Comfort is all to us.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Then why have the stat set at 10C? I really don't understand this.

Many live for 30 odd years after that.

I hope it was a very long one.

You don't have opening windows, then?

Colds are caused by viruses.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On Mon, 2 Apr 2007 17:21:02 +0100 someone who may be "Mary Fisher" wrote this:-

And one of the benefits of proper insulation is that it delays the heat from the sun getting through the walls. Meaning rooms are cooler than they would be.

Reply to
David Hansen