domestic electrical - using storage heater cable runs after heaters removed

Have removed 3 x T&E connections from the Off-peak CU as we are scrapping the old Storage Heaters it fed. (That CU is not sealed - only the meter/clock feeding it).

I just wondered if it would be possible (or is allowed rather), to use those cables to feed 3 x 13A socket outlets? I have one spare MCB in the other CU - could I feed all three cables wired as radials from it? If not, can I feed just one?

Seems a pity to have those cables in place and not use them for something.

Reply to
dave

No problem in doing that, but new socket outlets must have RCD protection, if you've got that, then carry on.

Reply to
A.Lee

Yes, if they're 2.5mm (or imperial equivalent) cable, on a 20A MCB.

Or you could link two of the outlets with a cable to turn them into a ring on 32A.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Assuming that the cables in question are all 2.5mm^2 T&E, then you have several options.

Yes you could feed them all from one 20A MCB and put a socket on each. You could also extend and add further sockets from any of them to make a larger radial.

You can use each cable as a separate radial - or treat them all as branches of one (or any combination)

You could use a pair of them as two ends of a ring, and wire as many sockets as you want between the two ends. Connect both ends to a 32A MCB.

Reply to
John Rumm

What size are the cables? Or what were they fused at?

Reply to
Tim Watts

+1
Reply to
ARW

All 2.5mm^2 T&E and fused at 15A each in the old CU. Be good to be able to use them in the ways described. tvm.

Reply to
dave

In message , dave writes

I too would like to know the answer.

Although my house had full central heating when we moved in, at one time it had had storage heaters (one in the hallway, and two in bedrooms), and it had the three cable feeds left behind.

As it was very poorly served with 13A mains sockets (only one in some of the rooms), I did wonder whether I could partially alleviate the situation by making use of the storage heater wiring. In the event, I never got a round tuit, and eventually, we got the house properly re-wired, and the heater cables were stripped out.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Does it count as a new circuit then? You can fit new sockets to existing circuits without an rcd can't you?

Reply to
dennis

As others have suggested, either combined into a ring using 2 of them or make them part of a 16 or 20A radial circuit. And RCD's of course :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Not really - or at least only in limited circumstances. New work would need to be to current standards generally.

Reply to
John Rumm

IMHO it does not matter if it's a new circuit or an altered circuit. Both would need RCD protection to meet the 17th edition regs.

You can - but to meet the regs this would in most cases this be a real PITA to do. But then I also believe that sometimes the regs need bending and we should use common sense.

Reply to
ARW