domestic Alarm question.... clueless wiring question.

Anyone, future mother-in-laws.... had windows replaced with Double Glazing a while back, and the window sensors are now hanging open at each window, and so alarm not usable. I'm thinging this should be easy enough, with a bit more info.

What I know:

8 wires to each sensor... Red / Black (to terminals labelled +/-) Yellow Blue (to terminals labelled with what looks like a switch) White Green (to teminals labelled 'a/t' (Anti Tamper?)) Orange (terminal labelled 'L') Brown (not connected)

Circuit board labelled : Gardiner Technology. Shockgard (american?)

9347f2. black component on board labelled Hamlin He3621a6012 9349.

Questions:

1) Where should these be mounted? - are they OK for use on DG windows?

2) In one room, there is no 'box', just 8 free strands of wire. Can anyone tell me which of the above pairs should be connected for 'normal' state? - or is it trial and error time?

3) Or can I get a single contact for 2) reasonably somewhere?

4) The control unit is labelled 'TS500', but has no manufacturer that I can see. It seems to have 5 zones, and 5 'state' LEDs, with 'Call Engineer' constantly on. (reasonable !)

Any assistance gladly rec'd, Michael.

Reply to
Michael Murray

Well my first reaction is that the DG installers fupped the system up they should fix it or employ someone qualified to fix it. Or you employ someone qualified to fix it and pass their bill on the to DG firm.

Of course if the contract with the DG people specifically excluded "making good" the alarm system then you are on your own. Even without such an exclusion you might have a battle on your hands, approach the DG company first, after all it could be argued that they are liable for any losses your MIL suffers after they have effectively disabled the alarm system...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

There is no standard colour coding AFAIK (nor should there be)

Power - insulate these, from each other and everything else.

The actual sensor; short together

As you say...short together

Dunno. Insulate it and try it all out...

See above

Reply to
Bob Eager

I can have a guess at some of them. I bought a new alarm control box a couple of years back which I think is from the same manufacturer. I found that the window sensors needed a 12v DC supply to function. So assuming that it is the same one as you have I would guess that

Red/Black +/- is the 12 V DC supply from the Board

Yellow/Blue is the Sensor cuircuit

White/Green is the Anti-Tamper as you suspect

Orange not sure.

In the case of your 'dangling' wire I would try pairing the Yellow/Blue and White/Green but not the Red/Black assuming the colour code is consistent through-out.

Have a search on the net at Guardtech

I think they are the manufacturers of your system

Reply to
Michael Walsh

On 15 Apr 2004 02:41:58 -0700, in uk.d-i-y m_ snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Michael Murray) strung together this:

Power to the unit.

Zone\circuit wiring.

Global tamper circuit.

Latch terminal. I take it there are several of these on the zone then?

Spare!

Shock sensor, one of these.

black component on board labelled Hamlin He3621a6012 9349.

That's a relay.

You want to mount them on the frame. Test them by putting the alarm into walk test mode and bang the window, it should trigger the sensor.

I can only assume the wiring is the same as the above. There is no standard cable colours for alarm wiring. It's probably worth checking that the wiring hasn't been shorted and blown the panel fuse, this could be why it says 'call engineer'

Yes, any wholesaler will have one.

Not of any great relevance to the rest of the system, the shock sensors can be used with any panel, the panel can be used with any shock sensor.

Reply to
Lurch

OP HERE: Thanks to all for their responses.... confirmed what I sort of guessed, and added some useful info. Particularly regarding the shorting options / fuse check and walk testing.

I Love uk.d-i-y!

M.

Reply to
Michael Murray

[ plus another bit which appears as an attachment in IE but isn't - it's just the manifestation of a bug ]

Bob,

I understand why the line in your sig appears as an attachment in IE, but I wonder why you leave it in? Just out of interest, really...

Al

Reply to
Al Reynolds