Dome camera funnies

Whilst looking for something which I put in a safe place in my stocks(no. I didn't find it!). I found that somewhere in the past few years I had purchased a small dome CCTV camera. As one of my cameras was very old and not very sensitive, I decided to fit the dome camera in it's place. The theory was OK, but I found that the camera had interference patterning and vertical blooming when operating. I checked the operating voltage, it was a bit high, so hooked the unit up to my bench psu to see if this had any effect. No, over a range of 9 to 15V the behaviour was the same. Then by accident, I switched off the study lights and found that the interference patterning was apparently being caused by the CFLs radiating into the unscreened camera. Subsequent testing didn't remove all the vertical blooming effects, so I'm still looking into that. I replaced the old camera with a spare modern metal cased outdoor unit which I had in my stocks and it all worked OK. It appears that some plastic cased cameras can pick up radiated interference from CFLs and fluorescent lamps. Anybody else found this?

The PSUs required came from my stocks of it may be useful one day items!

Reply to
Capitol

An awful lot of people have found this. It's why we have RFI legislation.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

which came via the EU. The RA of the DTI didn't seem to know what to do.

Reply to
charles

Yes I've seen this.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

There were instances of a two way radio system in use on the London underground where florescent lights interfered with the radios around the 440 MHz mark IIRC.

Bet someone else who writes here will know more about that!....

Reply to
tony sayer

That must be some kind of record. In three lines, we have: PSUs RFI EU RA DTI

Reply to
Davey

for a record you need EP & LP.

Reply to
charles

Haha. That was good actually.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Further up the thread, we have CFL and CCTV, but not EP or LP.

On the original subject, when I worked in industry, any two-way radio keyed near a Honeywell PID Controller would send it crazy, with corresponding effects on the process, which were usually in car factory paintshops. And I could not wear hearing aids in a room with lots of fluorescent lighting, the resulting buzz was far worse than loud tinnitus.

Reply to
Davey

Sudden thought: How many people reading this don't know what an EP or an LP is?

Reply to
Davey

There was already UK legislation in place before the EU, just not quite as complicated. Mobile radio had very,very tight specifications for radiation leakage from transmitters in the 1970s, before the EU directives. I can remember equipment failing the tests on a regular basis. Getting it right was prone to trial and error. Very few engineering departments have testing facilities good enough.

Reply to
Capitol

Not many, we're all old!

Reply to
Capitol

78?

What did I win? ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Never got that with Foxboro pneumatic PID controllers ;)

Reply to
Steve Walker

There may be a reason for that...

Reply to
Davey

His Master's Voice?

Reply to
Davey

Shure, that would give me the needle. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

That's your 2 grams worth, or is it 2 cents? Though for the record I get the feeling we're going round in circles.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Which everymanufacturer in China ignores totally of course ruining any kind of radio use in built up areas on am and shortwave.

Not sure this is all due to pick up, surely its got to be getting in via the power cables in some way. Not sure what vertical blooming would look like. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Quite, we know how to actually do things. People too young to know about EPs or LPs don't and either throw things away and buy another or get an oldie in to fix it.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice