Dolphin bathrooms - worth the cost?

Page 1 of 2
We had them around to quote tonight. Wow - 22.2k for a 1.8 x 1.8m bathroom with standard fittings and an electric shower!!! Standard 50% off that and 15% more for the Jan sale still brings it to 7.5k. B&Q and the like are around 3-4k total. I'm sure independent craftsmen would take another 1-1.5k off that price.
Has anyone had a bathroom designed by Dolphin? Any comments on quality/cost?
Seems a lot to me. Ignore the 22.2k price - it is only so they can discount it.
Ask the salesman how much commission he will personally get if he makes the sale.

Nothing of course ... he's not a salesman, he's a *consultant* so it's a fee <g>
When I used to draw plans for a conservatory company 15 years ago the salesman got 10% (I got about 1.25% for doing the plans: you can see who mattered to the firm) but this was assuming that they sold the conservatory at the [official unpublished] list price. If they could talk the customer into paying more than this or also taking finance they got a share of the excess. So if the floor price was 8K they got 800; if they could sell it for 10K they might get 1300. Either way, not bad for an evening's work. The better of the two salesman at the firm I did work for earned 86K in one year - probably 150K in today's money.
Free SEDBUK boiler database browser

Probably. Equally, I suspect he was on commission only or a very small base salary, so if he didn't sell he didn't eat and would ultimately or shortly get fired.
I'm not condoning the methods employed, but there is a risk/return here.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
al wrote:

Yada yada, sign here, special deal, I'll have to phone my manager etc.
There is a notice up in the showroom near us along the lines of "ever fitted a bathroom before? then become a dolphin installer, no training required, earn per week" which makes me believe that it may be a bit hit or miss.
http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/house_garden/home_furniture/dolphin_bathrooms_in_general / http://www.ciao.co.uk/Dolphin_Bathrooms__5176611
OTOH my parents had Sharps wardrobes (Dolphin=Sharps=Moben=Homeform) and were very happy with them, and the installation. The problem with Homeform Group is that the full cost of supply & installation has to be paid up front, and there is little recourse with the self-employed fitters.
--
Toby.

Bargepoles and disinfectant come to mind. Their reputation isn't exactly rose smelling, the work is often of poor quality and getting them to rectify faults can be a nightmare. Apart from that, their inflated prices and execrable sales technique they should be OK.
--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/

My god, are they still doing that racket!! Had a quote for a bathroom about five years ago and like you, the first quote was completely daft. Instantly, the huge % discount was offered and then when we umm'd and ahh'd, the price came down again to about the price you mention.
We told them to take a running jump on the simple basis that we wouldn't do business with a company that operates in this way.
Bartering is all part of business but maybe for 10%, not for 70%!
Rob.

They must be cutting a lot of corners if they are going to supply and fit a bathroom worth 22.5k for only 7.5k.
--
Alan

What annoyed me was that they *might* be visiting somebody like an old age pensioner who might not realise that this is a complete rip off. And take their money...
Probably wouldn't happen but I'm not sure if Dolphin wouldn't take it anyway, if the purchaser didn't baulk.
Cheers, Rob.

That's just what I've said and on principle, I wouldn't do any business with a company who operates like that, independent of whether the bathroom & installation quality was any good.
Cheers, Rob.
Dolphin and Moben have figured prominently in the Guardian consumer pages. Read before you buy.

Of Horrors! Ask around friends etc.. find a local tradesman. You'll get a better price and probably service too. Word of mouth is the best form of advertising.
SJW A.C.S. Ltd.

I would never use that company!!
I walked into one of their showrooms just for a nosey, admittedly I was wearing a tracksuit and probably not a designer one at that, the lady slowly looked at me from my toes to my head, looked me in the eye and before I could open my mouth said "You do realise that our bathrooms START at 5000!" I turned and walked straight out!

Should have asked her what her petty little "waiting around in a bathroom showroom all day" salary started from ... I doubt it's enough to afford a 5k bathroom!!
On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 21:33:09 -0000, "Sarah Hodge"

It's a group disease. I did the same and had the same treatment at a Moben place some while ago.
I arranged a wasted appointment for their rep. as a compensation.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

We did the same but the other way around - walked into a rather expensive bathroom shop (well actually, not *that* bad) but in full evening gear (we were going out straight afterwards) and got a lot of positive attention.
Clothes maketh the man? :-)
Rob.

How about B&Q's 3200 for the work? To put this in perspective, this is what we asked for:
New bath, sink & toilet - all in same locations Electric shower to be fitted Extractor fan to be fitted Tile floor and walls (strip existing full tiling off)
With bathrooms suites seeming to average at about 400-500 there (is that too little?), showers at about 150 and tiles about 15-20 per square meter, I made it up to be about 4000 for the full job with them.
Far too much for the work. 1300-2000 is fair for outer London, cheaper elsewhere.
Can provide names for tiler and plumber if you're south east London.
-- binary.blueyonder.co.uk...

NW London .... but then they may travel. Are they a very "local" bunch or quite big?
Travel may be an issue, but it depends if they are busy or not. Likelihood is that they will always have time. Very few book more than 4 weeks ahead, its just not practical.
Local independent guys. Sure that you can find the same in NW London.