Doing without a ceiling

And hoover the flies out of it every month...

Reply to
Tim Watts

stop the walls spreading apart. A structural engineer would advise.

i.e. part slope and a horizontal ceiling partway up. This would give you mo re headroom but without losing heat to the apex. The slopey sides might hav e velux type windows in for light and privacy or have mini dormers.

can't afford shoes, you may be a Muslim.

What about some flying buttresses ?

Reply to
fred

Ugh, Gothic.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

Well the plan is that when the room is plasterboarded to then run the LED strip across the top of the stud work shown on the RHS of

The walls plaster board will stand higher than the stud wall (and will be finished off with end bead) to create the trough.

A quick test using a bit of lining paper as plasterboard and a 1m LED strip did give positive results - although it seemed to light up the opposite ceiling due to reflection more than then the ceiling it was under.

I am open to suggestions as to what to line the trough with. I have suggested sticking the LED strip to something solid (eg perspex) so that if required we can sit it at an angle in the trough with some homemade wedges.

Reply to
ARW

Cooking foil - shiny side outwards. Or white melamine if you want something more wipeable.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

On 10/03/2015 17:41, ARW wrote: ...

It depends what facilities you have for handling different materials and how much the budget is. Polished stainless steel would give the best reflective surface but will be relatively expensive, especially if you have to get it made to order. Rigid white plastic (e.g. PVC) would be cheap and easy to DIY. I would also fit a clear plastic cover, perhaps vertically up from the wall plasterboard to the ceiling, that can easily be wiped clean.

Reply to
Nightjar