Doing electrics professionally

Well if you will have property in London... remember you get paid more to compenstate. DRFC B-)

No no you charge the same as those with plush offices central london but operate out of a lock up south of the river.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

How could that muppet think that the most likely place for the blockage was in the drop to the stack? The most common bottleneck is where the pan joins the pan connector, and a couple of buckets of water from 5 feet above normally sorts that out. The programme didn't do Pimloco Plumbers any favours in my opinion.

I wonder how the pager got there? I wonder if it had vibrate ...

Reply to
Nige

5 buckets would not clear the pager. Cutting the pipe was for the TV cameras benefit. That was pretty clear. I'm sure unnecessarily ripping down the ceiling was too. If a dripping was at fault and they fixed it, it is a mater of observing the water flow and see if that was the problem. Although if enough water had built up above the plaster board the flow may take a time to fall off.
Reply to
IMM

Wow, you can get 2 or 3 IT contractors for that!

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Depends who they are. £600/day is quite common for good ones.

Reply to
G&M

I think I paid around £1200 including the exams. This was for CCN1 only - which doesn't allow you to do much at all - install pipes!! It is a pre-requisite to further modules.

On top of that is each appliance category (boiler, gas fire, cooker, water heaters, etc). Around £400, a day each - half day training, half day testing. I was told to forget the training and take the test (~£250)- it's fairly obvious what's going on ( I wouldn't like to say you are walked through it..) CCN1 is the hard bit.

Certification is with BPEC -

and Zurich - couldn't find their website

Reply to
ColinMcK

I think site give a few bits and pieces on the subject of training and things:

BigWallop

Yeah, my knees are hurting too, you always seem to land on a small stone or screw. I went down the multi trade route for a while doing kitchens and bathrooms but after suffering all the problems described in this thread I have gone back to my original trade of plastering, most of the paperwork and running around for estimates has gone, I don't need all the tools plus van to carry them in and I have time for a social life. The money is about the same in the end but without the stress. All the builders I do work for are constantly complaining/unhappy and have short tempers, where as I can shut myself in a room with my flask of coffie, pouch of tobacco and radio 2.

Reply to
James

Are you in the North West and how much per m^2 (or whatever) for ceilings ? (About to give up on that particular bit of DIY)

Reply to
G&M

Only just caught up with this last night as I'd video'ed it.

I was particularly impressed with the way that when 'gorgeous Jane' was up the ladder having been told to remove the light fitting, which was dripping water all over the place, she asked if the electric was off - 'oh yes' says the boss plumber 'I turned off a circuit and it made the light in the next room go off' or words to that effect. So, that's OK then.

But glad to see that Pimlico Plumbing had got it's priorities right though; ensuring the vans were valeted daily, and that Jane was suitably chastised for daring to pitch up at work on her first day wearing (shock, horror) trainers.

The whole philosphy of the firm seemed to be on presentation; they must be charging their customers through the nose to be able to afford all that rigmarole like posh new vans with clever personalised number plates, plush offices etc. You'd think the punters would object to paying so much, seeing what it's spent on. But judging by the obvious success of the firm, it obviously works, doesn't it?!

David

Reply to
Lobster

In a way they are copying Eddie Stobart's approach. Before him, most trucks (and truckers) were absolutely filthy. He cleaned up the act, put his staff in uniforms and business soared.

Reply to
G&M

Yep. I knew heating fitter who spend time in te USA, who wore a clean pair of the latest pilot type design overalls every day. His van was immaculate and fully raked out with everything in its place, he had all the latest tools and tool boxes, always placed down "clean" dust sheets everywhere he worked, always cleaned up immediately afterwards, had the latest power tools, wheeled in a toolbox/workbench, used a full stand pipe bender, and made one room his base in the house if he could, planned the weeks job and told the customer exactly which way the job would go and what day he would be in what room. He took half a day setting up and everything went smooth after. He was good, clean, with immaculate tools, bench and toolboxes. He was inundated with work and people would wait 6 months for him when charging top rates and over. It works.

If a less than average fitter worked like him they would also be inundated with work. But people who work like him are always good at the skill side anyway.

Reply to
IMM

Stobbart was only doing what the rest of the civilised world was doing. If a mini cab company has drivers with shirts and ties and clean cars you go back to them. Unfortunately the drivers are scruffy, smelly with filthy cars.

Reply to
IMM

As usual the telly folks didn't think it worth showing us what was really going on here, just photogenic Tony & Jane busying about in their smart uniforms. They did mention that there was no access to the services from the upstairs so I guess not only was the bathroom floor tiled but the bath panel was too (or was otherwise mega hassle to remove). If the tap was leaking from underneath (at the tap connector) that would explain the problem.

As a matter of interest anyone know what they do charge? I did think of ringing them up to ask - maybe someone in the smoke would like to do so? Just to say there's water coming out of the overflow of the big tank in the attic (i.e. float valve letting by) and could they give an idea how much might it cost to fix before going ahead with a callout?

Reply to
John Stumbles

"Lobster" wrote | But glad to see that Pimlico Plumbing had got it's priorities | right though; ensuring the vans were valeted daily, and that | Jane was suitably chastised for daring to pitch up at work | on her first day wearing (shock, horror) trainers.

Surely the employer's responsibility to provide safety boots under the PPE regulations?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Dave Liquorice" saying something like:

Looked like Southwark. But certainly not anywhere near Pimlico.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

They're based in Waterloo

Reply to
Adrian M.

I am in Stockport but have plenty of work to be getting on with thx :) My price depends on the amount of preperation rather than meterage, that's for site work where everything has been done for the skimmer.

*chuckles*
Reply to
James

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Adrian M." saying something like:

Had to be, didn't they?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Even better - we're near Kettlehulme.

Damn

Plasterboard is up. We can do as much prep as you want. But after doing one bedroom we won't be skimming another.

Reply to
G&M