Doggy smell in car

Any suggestions how to get rid of a dog smell, which appears to be emanating from the boot carpet of my car.

It would appear that the previous owner used to have dogs, and when the car has been parked for a couple of days without the doors being opened, the smell builds up in the car. Any suggestions, other than throwing the carpets away!

Reply to
SimonJ

Take the carpets out and wash them? Or a good Fabreze session as per the advert?

-- Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Gray

Try Febreze, but IME you can't get rid of the smell completely once it's taken hold.

I've had to sell a car because of that :-/

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Yes,their handbags do linger a lot don't they. ;-)

-- Sir Benjamin Midllethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

The message from "SimonJ" contains these words:

Carry a couple of puking kids. You'll soon forget all about the dogsmell.

Reply to
Guy King

SimonJ ( snipped-for-privacy@mine.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Get a dog of your own, then *everything* you own will smell of dog, so you won't notice it in the car?

Reply to
Adrian

Find a Janitorial Supplier in your local Yellow Pages who is a Prochem dealer (almost all are). Get hold of some Prochem Urine Neutraliser. A 1 litre spray bottle will cost you about £5. This stuff is as used by pro carpet cleaners and it works!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Can you still get shake,n vac? I haven't seen that advert on the telly for a while. (Not that I'm complaining) A friend with dogs used to swear by it.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Lend it out to Stan Collymore, and replace it with a dogging smell?

Reply to
Ian Stirling

I've used shake'n'vac and its works well, for a month or two at least. Can be quite hard to hoover back out on some carpets though (the ones that look almost like felt, open pile ones are fine). It smells quite strong initially so make sure you choose one you like the smell of.

Zimmy

Simple Solution

have a Range Rover that absolutely stunk of wet dog all the time. Washing carpets, air fresheners, Fabreze etc. either didn't work or lasted about a week. I sprayed the Simple Solutions stuff about 4 mths ago and I haven't had a whiff since. Highly recommended.

I got it from my local pet shop.

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

I remember the day I got my brand new BMW316 (K-reg), took the kids out for a ride in it (as you do)..... then the words came from the back seat..... "Dad I think I'm going to be sick"......... CHRIST did those brakes work well !!!!!!

Reply to
Gingangooli

Being a keen dogger myself I can confirm that it leaves no smell is the car, just a residue down the wing that has to be washed off.

Reply to
sQuick

Frankly, without washing the carpets, no.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Pull the carpets out and rent a Rug Doctor machine from any of your local Dry Cleaners/Safeways. When you rent the machine they'll offer you the upholstery attachement. Accept. Buy a gallon of the concentrate. spend 24 hours over a weekend, 3 hours of that on the carpets and upholstery in the car, the rest using the cleaner in the house because you're damned if you're going to pay for a weekend's rental and not clean the house and all the curtains and anything else that will stay still long enough.

I promise that you'll use it all. It becomes a bit of a crusade to get at least one room where the stuff going into the crud bucket on the top isn't darker than the cleaner going in.

Warwick

Reply to
Warwick

Lol!

I bought a Bissell and did exactly the same the first few days I had it.....

Reply to
SteveH