Does this sound like the bearings in a washing machine?

Our Indesit washing machine has started to make a high pitched metal against metal sound usually only during the high speed spin.

I've had the back and top of the machine off and the supports appear to be holding the drum securely enough with no obvious signs of anything physically wrong.

So I thought this might be the bearings. Is this a straight forward job if it is the problem.

Cheers

Steven.

Reply to
Steven Campbell

Me too. In my case a dreaded bra-underwire. If so, if you don't move it it will either move and cause damage, or it won't and will eventually rust away by itself...

David

Reply to
Lobster

I had this a few years back on a Servis WM. Kept meaning to look at it but after a few weeks it righted itself. Must have been a piece of grit or something because it's been fine since.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Sounds more like something's got between the drum and the tub. Bearings sound more like a jet-engine on take-off. Loud roaring.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Also for failed drum bearings, you may find the you can move the inner drum relative to the outer drum quite a bit -- gently lift the inner drum and see if there's any loose movement.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

High pitched screech can be motor bearings. The brush end can usually be changed (improves brush life no end). Unfortunately the other end is usually only replacable together with the armature or motor.

Reply to
<me9

Thanks all for the suggestions. Spent yesterday taking the heater out and rotating the drum but couldn't find a thing lodged in-between. The noise only happens when there is a load of washing in. Looks like it will be a costly call out!

Steven.

Reply to
Steven Campbell

I had that on mine after I replaced the brushes. It ate through the new set in now time with lots of lovely sparks.

..but, when I thought the bearings were going before that, I opened it up and found several screws and nuts under the machine. Some when back in bits on the top and that stopped the noises but others remained unattached as I couldn't see where they went.

Reply to
adder1969

Could also be a slipping drive belt. I'm sure we've all heard that appalling noise that some cars make when pulling away when the alternator belt is slipping. Sounds metallic but isn't.

Reply to
Dave Baker

Thanks Dave but it definitely sounds like metal against metal. Its not even a regular noise which would indicate something stuck or something striking a part of the drum while it is spinning. It only happens when there is a washing in and it is on high speed. And like I said it is a random striking / high pitched noise.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

Steven.

Reply to
Steven Campbell

Which is the most likely time for the belt to slip.

Whip the back plate off and see if the belt looks shagged or the pulleys glazed up. You could even watch it during a cycle and get a better idea of where the noise is coming from.

Reply to
Dave Baker