Does this exist?

Hi,

I want to be able to bolt things down to my workbench easily using bolts with plastic moulded "wheel" handles. I don't have access to the underside of the bench because of the way it is made, so I'm not able to use pronged tee's :

?_dyncharset=UTF-8&howMany=15&searchText=12749-80So, what I want is a small 22m^2 plate that I can recess into the bench and screw down from the top, where the plate has a threaded hole in the middle, maybe even a back nut or threaded sleeve behind it.

Does anything like this exist? If so what are they called and where would I get some?

It's not an insurmountable problem, but if there is a "thing" that already exists, so much the better...

Cheers Chris

Reply to
Chris Styles

Sorry for replying to my own thread...

A colleague suggested :

this seems to be a good source of associated things...

Chris

?_dyncharset=UTF-8&howMany=15&searchText=12749-80>> So, what I want is a small 22m^2 plate that I can recess into the bench

Reply to
Chris Styles

?_dyncharset=UTF-8&howMany=15&searchText=12749-80>> So, what I want is a small 22m^2 plate that I can recess into the

1/8" Alluminium plate about 2" square with an 1/2" hole drilled in the center,with a drill/router cut an hole in the bench about the same diameter of the bolt you intend to use? drop the bolt into the hole,put plate over the nut and screw it down in all 4 corners of the plate.
Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

|Hi, | |I want to be able to bolt things down to my workbench easily using bolts |with plastic moulded "wheel" handles. I don't have access to the underside |of the bench because of the way it is made, so I'm not able to use pronged |tee's :

I made the front of my workbench free of all obstructions so that I could use a fancy expensive removable vice, which has remained in its box.

I use some big G clamps, which only need a 1 inch lip round the bench.

?id=20415&slotName=null&homeRef=&ts=27443&destination=/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp%3Fid%3D20415%26slotName%3Dnull%26homeRef%3D

Dave Fawthrop

hand wheels. They have a tendency to come loose with frequent use - a drop of polyurethane wood adhesive on the outer blades of them when fitting them helps a lot.

You might find it better to create the recess you were talking about, put the insert in and then fit a drilled plate over it to provide extra stability.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Axminster sell a similar gadget but with a keyhole slot, so the plate(s) can be left permanently countersunk into the bench top:

should be possible to make something similar at much less cost. Self-adjusting hold down clamps are cheap, and the plates would be easy enough to drill and file by hand; it's more about finding an easy source of pre-cut blanks.

Alternatively, if the OP doesn't mind about drilling through into the inaccessible space under his bench, Axminster's own-brand clamps with the toothed stem might do the job:

Ian White

?_dyncharset=UTF-8&howMany=15&searchText=12749-80>> So, what I want is a small 22m^2 plate that I can recess into the bench and

Another option might be to sink short pieces of M12 rod into the workbench from the top, after drilling and tapping them to take a smaller bolt. Ie theyre like a sleeve screwed flush into the bench top.

I'm not sure what youre holding with the bolts, but for many jobs predrilled holes in the wood with coarse thread coach screws may be good enough. If the wood gets knackered after x years, drill the hole out cleanly and insert a bit of fat dowel, with glue.

NT

Reply to
meow2222