Does primer need protection from the elements

Having painted some outdoor utilities with (expensive) greyish primer, the dull matt finish has exactly the right appearance. Will it survive well exposed like this or is it essential to find a finish coat with the same colour and texture?

rusty

Reply to
therustyone

Depends on the primer. Some's porous, some's OK without a top coat. What do the manufacturers say?

Reply to
Adrian

Red oxide can survive for quite some considerable time outside. I know the OP's is not red oxide - but just sayin...

Reply to
Tim Watts

What materials have you painted, wood or metal, and was it aluminium primer you used?

Whatever the material, the answer to your question is no, as primer is simply the base coat needed on new work to give the undercoats a good 'grip' and it has little protection (if any) against the weather or physical damage.

You will need at least 2 undercoars and 1 coat of 'gloss' or 'mat' finishing to get the maximum protection (the method I use is 1 primer coat, 2 undercoats and 2 gloss coats on all external works, [1] and that usually gives me at least 5 years between redecorations, oh, and lots of time is spent on the most important bit of decorating -- the preparation. If that isn't right, then you'll seldom get a lasting finish.

[1] Along with buying good quality materials. To prove that point, I have a 6' x 4' shiplap boarded garden shed that has only ever been painted 6 times in 30 years (with 2 coats of Sadolin each time) and it's as good as new.

Cash

Reply to
Cash

OK, the concensus seems to be no ! I used "International Exterior" primer. Not well known but not exactly cheap either.

Painting, among other things, a fibreglass gas meter box dating from

1975-ish probably and well covered in green and black organic stuff, which I sanded off with fine paper since scrubbing had no effect. Pig-ugly even when new, so glossy paint isn't really called for, only to draw attention to it. For a DIY job exterior-grade matt is hard to find, except in black.

rusty

Reply to
John