Does anyone here know anything about ...

German F1 racing driver. Several times world champion. Drives for Ferrari.

HTH.

Reply to
Hugh Jampton

I watched a programme on Sky about making safety boots. Fascinating, it was, but I dare say it's not what you're after, Mary.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

Reply to
Mary Fisher

What did you learn about it?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

You're just talking cobblers now! :-)

Reply to
Dave

No, a cobbler is a shoe repairman, not a maker.

Rrasppppppp!

:-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

|| No, a cobbler is a shoe repairman, not a maker.

That would be a Cordwainer.

Dave

Reply to
david lang

It wasn't in the greatest detail but it showed all the processes from tanning the hides to vulcanizing the sole to the boot. Mostly by machine of course.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

I think you'll find he/she makes shoes if asked. :-P

Reply to
ben

Michael Mcneil

Also known as a Cordwainer

Reply to
keith_765

Cobblers to that!

That was my _Last_ job!

Do Cobblers make shoes to last?

et.al.

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

It would have been interesting but, as you surmise, not what I was after. Thanks anyway,

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I bet you feel a right heel having written that.

It's their sole function.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

But you don't know anything about it yourself ?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

That trade crops up frequently on genealogy records A cordwainer (AIUI) is one who works with Cordovan leather (a particularly fine flexible leather from the town of Cordoba(sp?) in Spain. Fine, flexible items would be manufactured from Cordovan leather such as gloves - it is not inconceivable that 'toffs' might have shoes made by their Cordwainer ... AIU Cordwainer != shoemaker. It's a bit like a cardboard-box folder being styled an _Origami artiste_; even though the techniques are similar.

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

My sister-out-law refers to herself as a cordwainer when she makes leather bags and belts. The leather she uses for that is a lot stiffer than most shoe-leather. She is using the word just to mean "leather-worker".

The old copy of Collins by my desk gives cordwainer as "Archaic: A shoemaker or worker in leather" (and then proceeds to give the derivation from Cordoba).

Reply to
Martin Bonner

It's much more general than that these days - shoes and accessories in all sorts of leather and other materials are designed and made at Cordwainers College.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I know little except that in the streets of Cairo round the Babzewalla Mosque, you will find litterally hundreds of small business making shoes to fit.

Rick

Reply to
Rick