Dodgy tools from Argos

Bought a drill (no problems with this) from Argos last week, and also managed to get a set of 4 'Challenge' (IIRC?) tools - cordless drill/cordless screwdriver/sander/jigsaw thrown in for free (I didnt order them, just got automatically added to the order). Now I dont know if this challenge set was just being given away to get rid of stock, but turned out quite handy as I needed a jigsaw to cut up an old kitchen worktop. However, when I came to use the jigsaw it spits tons of sparks out the vents as the motor spins! Doesnt look at all safe to me so I unplugged it quick. Anyone ever seent his happen on a 'new' jigsaw before? I guess it is broken motor brushes or something? Can I be arsed taking it back considering I didnt pay for it in the first place???

I see Challenge are doing a battery SDS drill for around £65.

Reply to
IMM

Only you can answer this one!

John

Reply to
John

It may get better as you use it. Sparks are not inherently unsafe. I'd tape the handle down, and run it for 10 mins unloaded to see if it stopped doing it.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

I have seen blue sparks on motors before, but never had bright orange sparks streaming out the casing!

That suggests some foreign matter burning. If it's bits of the motor, it won't for long.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Hmm, that's impressive. If it was me, I'd take it out into the garden, turn it on, and see if it does burst into flames.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Better still, give it to 'IMM'.....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

probably a faulty commutator. If it is, it wont last long.

Reply to
N. Thornton

And this differs from the standard Argos tool in what way ? :-)

Reply to
G&M

That's a bit harsh! Argos do sell some good stuff too!

Reply to
hudsterou

Power tools ?

Reply to