Dodgy Stopcock

Changed a set of kitchen taps for a lady yesterday, no trace of any internal stopcock since Combi boiler was fitted two months ago. Turned off the water outside.

Had to go back today to finish off another minor job & she mentioned that the water pressure (hot & cold) was down - not just on the kitchen taps but all over the house. Checked the external stopcock which was fully open.

I can only think of two things, either the water pressure is down generally because of a local leak or burst, or summits up with the stopcock.

All the neighbours were out so we couldn't ask them about their pressure.

The stopcock wasn't hard to turn or seized in any way & still shuts off the supply OK.

Any thoughts? I'm guessing muck in the pipe maybe?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Did the pressure seem down to you? Could this be human psychology at work? I am not saying she is making it up, but that doesn't preclude seeing something that doesn't exist.

Reply to
Graham.

It did to be fair. The pressure on the kitchen taps seemed lower once I'd changed them, but not very much. I put it down to different taps. Never tried any others, no reason to. Seemed worse today.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Get the local water company round. They will check the water pressure and flow fate at the stopcock.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadworth

If there is a restriction caused by a faulty stopcock, the first "spurt" of water will be at full pressure, then the flow will drop. A partially closed stopcock will not reduce pressure, just flow-rate.

Andy Dee

That is exactly what happens. Thanks.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman