dodgy plumbing?

Hi all,

I was up in the attic last night (as you do!) and I noticed that my rising main was connected to my water tank by the plumber pushing the hydrodare pipe 2' over the end of a 1/2' copper pipe. Is this proper/usual practice?

It is a 3 year old house with a good strong mains pressure - is there some sort of compression fitting for this job? should I alert the 7 neighbours that had the same plumber?

Thanks for any advice.

Derek.

Reply to
Derek

Are you sure that the Hydrodare isn't just lagging around 15mm copper pipe ? As far as I know, Hydrodare, especially at that diameter (2'') is soft lagging and not actually water carrying pipework.

Reply to
BigWallop

Hi,

Positive, sorry it was not that clear from the mail the hydrodare is pushed 2 inches onto the end of the copper pipe (not 2 inch hydrodare diameger). No the copper makes the hydrodare stiff where it is pushed over

- there is a noticable buldge in the hydrodare where it stops and then it is "bendy" heading down towards the kitchen sink. I think this is hydrodare, just a black plastic water carrying pipe with blue text.

Thanks,

Derek.

Reply to
Derek

Then you should warn your neighbours. :-)) The only thing I can think of is that the plumbing is buried in a wall cavity and hydrodare is being used as a protective barrier for copper pipe inside it. Normal water carrying pipework is normally done in thick wall blue coloured polypropylene pipe for mains use. But I could be totally wrong. Hydrodare pipe is normally very rigid and is used as protection for cables and / or pipes as they pass through concrete or brickwork.

Reply to
BigWallop

I'm unfamiliar with the term hydrodare is this the same as the black plastic pipe favoured in the 60s/70s? for mains water?

I don't think this is the same as the black plastic water pipe favoured in the 60s&70s. As that stuuf is nominal 1/2" ID. What you have sounds much more like a 'hose'.

If this were my own house I would probably stick a jubilee clip on the join and put foam lagging (aka donkey dong) on and forget it.

Reply to
Ed Sirett