Dodgy gas joint

Pulling my cooker out to clean I discovered one of the pipe joints moves easily and needs attention.

The supply comes out of the wall as a half inch iron pipe and there is a half inch iron elbow that turns through 90 degrees. It is this fitting that is loose and can be turned by hand.

So the elbow needs to be removed and reinstalled in the wall socket.

Gas grade ptfe?

or Gas grade ptfe and thread sealent?

Reply to
ericp

snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk wibbled on Wednesday 18 November 2009 16:24

Hopefully a person who is competent to advise will be along shortly...

Can I ask though - is there any smell of gas?

Either way, if you are suspicious about the joint integrity, have you turned of the gas feed to that branch, or at the meter?

What's the history of this joint - has it been altered in recent memory?

Reply to
Tim W

No it's fine, but for how much longer. Hence immediate tlc.

No, but probably a casualty of years of moving the cooker in and out. Simply a bad side of this type of installation.

Reply to
ericp

PTFE or thread sealant.

Not both.