Dodgy DIY?

5 and 6

Is the pole there for a reason?

Reply to
mogga

4 and 5 I think you mean

Dance practice, probably. It looks too flimsy to hold up the RSJ they forgot to put in when they took out the supporting wall.

Reply to
Ronald Raygun

It's too close to the stairs for that, surely? ;)

Reply to
Jules Richardson

the only time I've seen them in a house has been on come dine with me I think... The woman taught it and had her lounge done out as a studio.

Reply to
mogga

Reply to
Bodgit

Yes, it's to prevent the bedrooms falling into the open plan lounge / diner / kitchen / hallway :-)

They have taken down the dividing wall, which went up alongside the stairs, and was holding all the joist ends.

It looks like they've not been able to get the correct sized girder in and so they've used a smaller one and propped it up in the middle.

Reply to
Phil L

Nah. If you look carefully it is for chaining the wife up. The correct length chain will allow her to reach the bedroom and the kitchen.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Are there any other handholds in the house? If the previous occupant was disabled it is possible it was put up to give them something to hold on to between the stairs and the seating.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Probably to help you pull yourself off the left hand end of the couch without hitting your head on the stairs!

Reply to
John Rumm

Nah - internal drain for condensing boiler that the previous owner got sick of freezing up :-)

Reply to
JohnW

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember mogga saying something like:

Stops the upper floor bouncing.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

12/10

ROFLMAO!

Reply to
Ericp

Looks suspicious whatever the reason. Although I have to say I had a house of similar layout with open plan stairs (newly built at the time) and there was no support in that area. I suppose it would depend in what direction the joists run, if support would be required.

Reply to
SS

Possibly as a sound damping measure to counter a creaking floor when people walk on the landing above. Shame about the carpet though.

Presumably they must have moved the fireplace and chimney breast as well then, along with chimney above because otherwise any supporting wall would have abutted the present chimney breast, with the fireplace being situated in the corner of the room.

The only real mystery in an open-plan 60's 70's house with fulll width windows front and back is why they didn't run the staircase from front to back at the side, rather than across the middle.

The pokey vee-shaped dog-eg garden is something else as well.

michael adams

michael adams

Same pole different view.

Reply to
F Murtz

has disappeared and a brown single chair is in its place!!! Some strange goings on.

Reply to
Steven Campbell

Are they trying to hint at a poltergeist?

Reply to
Skipweasel

Na, its a pole dance...

Reply to
John Rumm

It's obvious! Picture 6 shows what happens when you take the pole away.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Ah - a poletergeist then