Do you use an expensive cordless drill and/or self tightening chuck

I bought a cordless drill from Argos for =A335. The drill is fairly good

- has two 18v 1.5ah batteries which is up there with drills upto =A3100 or more, 1 hour charger which is a quality unit and two speed gearbox, variable speed and an electric brake are all good.

It seems good for most drilling jobs though obviously drilling 10mm steel holes flattens the battery quick, also was a bit useless at hammer drilling through concrete (have not tried brick yet - I dont think it would be that good)

The problem is that it is hard to tighten the chuck enough so drill bits dont slip - i was thinking about getting another keyless chuck. Screwfix sell two, one for =A310 which looks a similar quality to the one I have now and a =A330 metal Makita one which is 'self tightening' and only has one ring to tighten. (normally you hold one and twist the other)

I therefore guess the one outer ring is tightened a bit against the resistance of the motor and when drilling it tightens up properly on the bit.

Has anyone got experience of this type of chuck - how good is it? Also how quick is it to fully open and fully close the chuck to grip small and large drill bits.

Reply to
405 TD Estate

I hate keyless chucks. Trying a drill a 6mm hole in masonary with my mains hammer drill is impossible for the same reason. Kevin

Reply to
Kev

Has anyone got experience of this type of chuck - how good is it? Also how quick is it to fully open and fully close the chuck to grip small and large drill bits.

************

When my chuck recently "chucked it" I took my drill to the local Bosch service centre for a replacement. I enquired about a keyless chuck at the time and was told that most drills they sell to professionals with keyless chucks were converted to keyed chucks by request of their new owners due to slippage.

However I bought an 18V "Direct Power" keyless drill from Argos for £12 in a recent sale and it hasn't slipped once. This could be down to me mostly using decent drill bits (I think they are Makita) that have a hexagonal shaft rather than round so it is impossible to slip while in the chuck

Steven.

Reply to
Steven Campbell

I've got a Dewalt, and it's great. If it slips, it's because I haven't done it up properly.

Ben

Reply to
Ben Blaukopf

My Metabo 14v has a single ring keyless. It's a good chuck, but I will replace it with a keyed chuck eventually. It doesn't slip in use, but sometimes when I'm carrying it between jobs, the bit just drops out!

R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

Cheap ones are crap. Decent quality ones grip as well as, if not better than, keyed chucks.

You mean people still use non SDS drills for masonry? Do you use a hand drill for drilling wood?

Reply to
Grunff

How hard do you have to turn the ring to tighten it?

Does the drill 'lock' the chuck shaft, or if you tighten the chuck can you turn the motor?

How many turns are needed between fully open and fully closed ? Probably a guess something like 10 turns is normal.

Reply to
405 TD Estate

Hi,

What size/type bits slip?

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

The chucks with only one ring such as the Makita usually depend on the drill having an automatic shaft brake (as Makita's typically do). Hence you can apply a torque to the chuck and it won't rotate the drill shaft/gearbox/motor assembly at all. Without this capability the single ring chuck would be almost unusable.

Grip on the Rhom chuck on my Makita 18V combi is substantial - I have never had it slip. There are quite a number of turns end to end (its a

13mm capacity chuck). Like many I guess I tend to hold the chuck still and use the drill motor to drive it to about the right position before finally tightening the last bit by hand.
Reply to
John Rumm

Likewise drill bits. I suspect the shanks of cheap bits are left hard such that the chuck can't *grip*.

Masonry bits will slip when used in hammer mode if they are not

*bottomed* in the chuck.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I have a Dewalt one-handed chuck, it's as solid as a rock and a really useful feature when you're up a ladder. Not sure how useful a cheap one would be. Haven't you got a 'real' power tool shop that can dem them for you?

Reply to
blackbat

All of them can I think.

Reply to
405 TD Estate

Haven't you got a 'real' power tool shop that can dem

Not that I know of! - I'm in Coventry

Reply to
405 TD Estate

I reckon its a generic problem with keyless chucks. My Wickes jobby has a Rohm chuck - quality name - which slips sometimes with drill bits, never with hex driver bit holders.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman