Do you need Planning for small window?

Hi

I want to put a small bullseye non opening window in my 1st floor bathroom wall. It doesn't overlook any buildings just fields and the lower part of a garden. Its 500cm dia Would I need planning aproval?

I already have a window along this side of the house looking out same direction.

Thanks for any info

MG

**REMOVE** 'myhat' from my return email address before sending!!
Reply to
MG

In message , MG writes

I phoned the planning office about adding a full size window to the side of the house, which looked out on the neighbour's property, and was told because it was on the side of the house none was needed; I was a little surprised and will certainly check again, and get an answer in writing, when I get the tuits to do it.

Reply to
bof

Probably not but you will need building regulations approval. A real PIA for such a small job!

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

Sounds unlikely but this does tend to depend on the planning dept - just phone them up and ask them.

David

Reply to
Lobster

500cm is a hell of a size. You may very well need approval.

A small window?

Reply to
Frank Erskine

I hope he means "500mm" or "A big Windows" ( Delete as applicable)

Reply to
Coherers

I cut a circular hole in a single-skin brick wall ( for a flue ) by drilling lots of holes with a masonry drill around the periphery and then knocking the centre out. Not elegant but it worked. A word of caution, yo do have to be a little smart about it, as if your holes don't meet up then youwill have great trouble bashing the brick out, but if they meet up too much ( i.e. overlap a lot ) you will find that the drill bit will wander into the adjacent hole, then you've little chance of getting it right. My method was to drill a lot of pilot holes, as straight and true as possible, that leave a similar amout of brick intact between the holes ( in other words, drill the holes all two drill diameters apart ), then redrill each hole with a drill of just over twice the diameter of the original holes: if the second drill is too big, it will break into the adjacent holes so much that it is tempted to wander into them. You'll still need to finish off with some bodgery to remove the brick that didn't succumb to the drill. I expect someone has a better method,

Andy.

Reply to
andrewpreece

Yes of course (!) I mean 50cm !!! Actually its a bit smaller as its a very old victorian quadrant-barred window I got from a reclaim yard and repaired it, so its proportions are imperial rather than metric...

The biggest hassle is cutting a clean circular openning without savaging the existing brickwork. Anyone have a method?

OR, was wondering if there are any fibreglass moulded 'forms' that could be fitted around the edge that emulated a brick or stone design??

Thanks

MG

**REMOVE** 'myhat' from my return email address before sending!!
Reply to
MG

When you cut a hole that size in normal brickwork you'll have a few loose bricks to hold up at the top. Cutting with brick bolsters or coal chisels may also loosen bricks away from spots you don't want them to move from. So the easiest and safest way to make a circular hole in a brick wall is to remove the bricks in square pattern first, lifting the whole bricks out. You then cut the bricks to shape and refit them back in place if you want a flush plain looking finish. But, the bricks you remove may also be re-used, along with a few more of course, side on to make the circular shape design you want for the window frame to sit in.

Just remember that you'll need to support the top section of brickwork properly while cutting any big holes through a brick wall. The bricks don't actually hold themselves up without some kind of support below them, which is weird. :-)

Reply to
BigWallop

From walking this evening, it looks like you can just retrofit in pre-cut bricks based on typical window diameters? They seem to have a smooth engineering brick kind of finish, and definately have not been cut to fit - probably a removeable former.

Could be fun asking in a HSS shop for a core drill that size :-) If they did, there would be a lot of ATMs with large mouse holes.

Reply to
Dorothy Bradbury