Do wickes stores have panel saws?

I need some MR MDF cut so I can get it in the car. Wickes stock the material I want but do they have saws in their 'extra' stores. Southampton is my nearest.

TIA

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

they have a huge store on the southampton road out of salisbury.

I'd think MDF saws are common and available form most hardware shops.

[g]
Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

Thanks George.

I meant the panel saws fixed to the wall where the store cuts up sheet materials to your dimensions for you.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Never seen this offered in any Wicks round here. B&Q or Homebase. Wicks historically were more of a self service builder's merchant than DIY store.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No description of what an Extra store offers on their web site.

Call them? SOUTHAMPTON EXTRA Telephone: 02380 515080

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Round here it's only Homebase and B&Q Warehouses that have panel saws

Reply to
stuart noble

You best option is probably to phone around.

Locally round here Homebase still have a panel saw set-up installed but I've never seen anyone manning the desk. Mind you the store and most of the checkouts are deserted a lot of the time as it is. And I've never made use of it myself

Because of staff cutbacks it may be that any staff trained to use the saw and who won't make a completed horlicks of it, don't have back-up if they're off sick or on holiday.

So even if they've got one its probably advisable to phone first.

As to Wickes the way they store their 8x4 and larger panels is rubbish.

Rather than support the panel at both ends and the middle - a minimum requirement they have two arms cantilevered out and the panels draped over those. This means that all the panels from half way down the stack will have developed a bow at both ends.

All their plywood is 100% rubbish as well with internal voids which often only become apparent once the stuff is cut.

As with all timber products in Wickes its all mainly designed to be firmly nailed to a wall where any imperfections won't show.

michael adams

michael adams

My local BM has one - only found out earlier this year - even better, they have two blokes who actually know how to use it properly - and know what a 'kerf' is!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Cheers Dave, I've just called them and yes they can cut to size but today the guy working in Southampton is on holiday. Very helpful girl went and asked around if anyone else could work the saw but sadly no. I was impressed with their customer service though

At the time of my original post, I was trying to decide and plan my Sunday.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Since their change of ownership, they have moved a bit more towards DIY. Quite convenient as B&Q (hawk - spit) are moving from proper DIY to decorate it yourself and becoming more like Homebase every day.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Seems like an ideal hook to hang getting a decent circular saw on and makinga saw board. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I've got (nearly) all the cutting capability at home both hand power tools and a big cast iron tablesaw but I cant get a full sheet inside the car and currently no roof rack.

I can't really be arsed to dig out my generator, put that in the car and risk the wrath of Wickes staff by cutting sheet MDF up in the car park.

I supposed a battery operated Jig or circular saw would be nice but can't really justify the cost to myself (yet!)

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Get 'em to deliver or borrow a suitable trailer...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Humping 8x4s about isn't much fun, even if you do have the cutting capability at home. For what they charge I'd rather someone else did it (and cleared up the mess).

Reply to
stuart noble

Amen to that. 50p a cut at my local BM, well worth it.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I took a couple of saw horses and a saw and cut up the plywood in the car park of timber world when I wanted some stuff you can't buy in the shops. They do have a cutting service but it isn't cheap for a couple of sheets.

Reply to
dennis